5 Musicals to Watch this Christmas

Musicals are the all-time best feel good theatrical events ever created by civilised society. Except for, perhaps, Shakespeare plays or chocolate. If you’re luckily enough to live near London, treat yourself and your family to a night out at a West End musical.

Enjoy the glitz and glam and all that jazz and leave with a smile on your face – get into the Christmas mood and brush away the stress of the last term.

We give you our top 5 Musicals to watch this Christmas…

NUMBER ONE:

Matilda The Musical @ West End’s Cambridge Theatre: Based on the much-loved children’s book by Roald Dahl with lyrics by Tim Minchin, follow the tale of a small girl with a big imagination. The perfect feel good night out.

NUMBER TWO:

The Lion King @ Lyceum Theatre: Winner of Tony Awards for Best Musical, Best Scenic Design in a Musical and Best Costume Design – this is one you don’t want to miss. No matter how old you are you can always enjoy The Lion King. It’s fantastic, mesmerising and stunning so be prepared.

lion king resized

NUMBER THREE:

The Book of Morman @ Prince of Wales Theatre: From the writers of South Park comes a hilarious musical which follows a group of unusual Mormons on their missionary quest. It’s hot so tickets are selling fast.

NUMBER FOUR:

American Psycho @ Almedia Theatre (Off West End): Technically not a feel-good musical, technically not in the West End, but this brand new musical is based on the novel by Bret Easton Ellis and stars the cutest Doctor Who star Matt Smith. Previews start 3rd December.

NUMBER FIVE:

The Phantom of the Opera @ Her Majesty’s Theatre: Andrew Lloyd Webber’s masterpiece of a show – expect operatic songs about opening a letter, beautiful love ballads and broken chandeliers. (Hint: Look out for the Uni’s very own musicality society’s production of ‘Phantom’ next term)

Eve Wersocki Morris

Follow Impact Arts on Twitter and Facebook.

Images: Annemeesie via Flickr

ArtsArts Features