Style

How to Keep Warm this Winter

As winter draws in, there’s nothing more important than making sure you’re prepared for the chill, so follow our winter edit for some advice on how to stay warm and look hot.

1.     For your head…

hats_Fotor

To get the classic ‘student’ look, you can’t go wrong with a slouchy beanie or bobble hat. You can find these in pretty much all stores, and they’re great if you’re on a budget to help keep your head warm. If this is the look you’re going for then don’t be shy to shop in the guys section, the hats can often look better on, as the shape is less fitted and more casual. If you fancy something a bit more chic then this bowler hat is the one to go for, it can be dressed up or down and also it’s not prone to giving ‘hat hair’. Both Primark and River Island have a great selection of colours. (Beanie: Topman £14, Bowler: River Island £20).

2.     Keep your neck warm…

Tartan Snood_Fotor

A scarf has got to be the most essential winter accessory to fight off the chill. For practically, a snood is the one, pop it over your head and you’re done – no worrying about half a mile of wool dragging behind you as you’re running for the 34 bus. As they’re now more popular than ever, you can get them in all manner of textures and patterns, although tartan definitely seems the pattern of choice this winter, giving a slightly preppy, yet cosy vibe to your outfit (Snood: New Look £7.99). 

3.     No more frozen fingers…

3

Blue, numb finger-tips is something all students suffer from when winter approaches. All you need do is pick yourself up a nice pair of gloves or cute mittens to fix this. Unfortunately, there is still a problem for the socialites and technos out there who have touch screen phones. You face the terrible ultimatum: post that tweet about how you’re still drunk from your night out and lose your fingers to frostbite, or keep your digits and get over your hangover quietly… Problem solved! Primark of all places now have in stock touch screen gloves in a range of colour blends for only £1.50.

4.     ‘Stand’ on your own two legs this winter….

1

Independent stands and stalls often offer bargains as good as any you’d find in your favourite high street store. One great thing you can find at stands like these are cosy patterned and textured leggings, which are guaranteed to keep you warmer – and look great with your favourite winter boots. A definite yes for warmth this winter (Leggings at a town centre street vendor £4).

5.     Glam up your outfit….

owl

Brooches are a unique and affordable way to individualise our winter outfits. Despite all the gorgeous coats this season, most students can only buy one before maxing out their student loan. So, mix it up with different brooches: sparkly, elegant or flamboyant, there’s always one for you. If you have a favourite pair of statement earrings you could even pin them on a coat instead, giving a truly unique statement brooch (Owl Brooch: Claire’s £5.50).

Zorcha Dean

For more from Impact Style follow us on Twitter: @ImpactStyle or find us on Facebook

Images: Zorcha Dean, RiverIsland.com, newlook.com, claires.co.uk, Chelseadoll.co.uk, Lisa Widerberg via Flikr

Style