To go out or not to go out? The problems of being a second year

Life as a fresher is a thing of the past and I couldn’t be happier. Seeing the hordes of freshers patrolling night outs does make me feel somewhat nostalgic, but if I’m honest I was looking forward to a second year life of putting my slippers on and only going out once a week.

In reality nothing could be further from the truth. Since coming back to University I have spent the entire time trying and failing to get the balance between going out and studying. One glance at Twitter shows I’m not the only one. Every night my feed is full with tweets of nights out at Crisis/Ocean/Forum.

Where have all the course concerned students that last year’s freshers were convinced they’d turn into gone? Certainly not to the library or to any lectures. Twitter once again informs me that the majority of us second years are doing pretty much anything but- myself included. Even if I resist the urge to go out I’m no longer safe in my own house as the novelty of watching TV on a sofa remains strong. Procrastination at its finest.

Each week I tell myself that going out once is perfectly reasonable. But I feel I may be going wrong somewhere when, come Thursday, I’ve already been out twice and seminar reading slips way down the list of priorities.

For anyone who also shares this same realisation never fear, there does remain a light at the end of the tunnel. At some point I, and almost certainly you too, will run out of money and once again lectures will be filled with wide awake, attentive students ready to get some work done.

Charlotte McIntyre (@_CharlotteeM)

Follow Impact Comment on Facebook and Twitter

Photo: Moyan Brenn (Flickr)

CommentVoices