TV Review – The Walking Dead, Season 4 Episode 4

This week’s episode of The Walking Dead ended on a shocking note; the decision to banish one of the show’s major characters will surely have repercussions later on in the series.

Warning: Spoilers!

I’m in shock. I don’t know how I thought Rick would deal with the knowledge that one of the camp’s oldest members had murdered one of their own, but to banish her? I was not expecting that. It’s true that the situation is delicate; murder is murder after all, and that was what happened here, despite the fact that the people in question were already sick and possibly dying. But what we have to remember is that this world is not the same as ours, and that we can’t judge their actions by the standards of our society.

Walking Dead

Whether or not you agree with the character’s actions you can understand why she undertook them, and that point was pushed a lot during this episode. Her character has changed massively since the beginning of the show, but I don’t believe she’s evil, or that anyone else in the camp is in danger from her. And I’m sorry Rick, but I don’t believe banishing her was the right thing to do.

It can go from three fast paced, thrilling episodes to one that leaves you feeling like no progress has been made at all.

So, apart from that shocking twist at the end of the episode, what else happened this week? Well, to be honest, not much. Here is a perfect example of why some criticise The Walking Dead as ‘inconsistent.’ It can go from three fast paced, thrilling episodes to one that leaves you feeling like no progress has been made at all. We didn’t even see the Prison this week, where we know multiple major players are seriously ill. Instead, the show switched between Rick’s little road trip, and Daryl’s team’s hunt for medication. And aside from the ending, Rick’s storyline could have done with a little more action. Some interesting stuff happened, but ultimately it felt a little – pointless? Almost as if they were holding out for the ending, and needed some filler before they got there.

Walking Dead

Daryl’s storyline, on the other hand, was filled with action. We learnt some interesting information about new character Bob, who seems as if he may become important (although, this is The Walking Dead: he could die next week), and we saw a face off between him and Daryl which cemented my opinion that I would not want to get on the wrong side of that redneck. But ultimately, the lack of Prison scenes left a noticeable hole in the episode.

Surely the lack of action from the Prison this week means something big is going to happen next time.

One thing that I did take from this episode though was that I can’t wait until next week; surely the lack of action from the Prison this week means something big is going to happen next time. And how will the rest of the group react when Rick tells them about the decision he made (despite the fact he gave up his leadership of the group at the end of the last season)? We’ve reached the half-way point of the first half of season 4 now, and I’m sure many people are starting to wonder when we’ll be seeing The Governor again? If the show plans to re-introduce him before the mid-season finale, then we may well be seeing him soon. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Lucy Irvine

What did you think of this week’s episode of The Walking Dead? Let us know via Impact’s Film & Television Facebook and Twitter.

Film & TVTV Reviews
  • samira
    23 November 2013 at 16:34