Lead articles

“Bag a Slag” Event Cancelled

The Lace Markets Old Angel Inn has decided to cancel their upcoming ‘bag a slag’ event due to causing public offense after their advertising poster was deemed inappropriate.

The event, ‘Die, Die, My Darling’, was intended to be an alternative speed-dating night and was scheduled to take place on Valentines Day, next Friday. However, the reception of the slogan ‘bag a slag, grab a hag,’ on the advertising poster caused many complaints.

“This event sounded about as much of an invitation to sexual violence as you can get.”

wpid-alt-speed-dating-march-14-l

The poster also advertised free shots for all women attending the event. The staff at the Old Angel said that this was included to simply encourage more women to participate, since speed-dating is often more popular with men.

A second year feminist English student from the University of Nottingham said:

” [the poster] demonises and shames the women intended to participate in this event immediately, as well as polarizing the entire gender into two offensive categories. Between the use of the word “slag” and the free shots offered to women, this event sounded about as much of an invitation to sexual violence as you can get.”

In response to such complaints, Angela Rawson, the licensing manager at Nottingham City Council warned that the pub could risk being in breach of its license if it used “inappropriate promotions”.

She also explained that the council does “try to work with venues to see if there is a way ahead, but it was the owner who took the final decision to cancel.”

“Those people who drink in the pub, for whom the poster was intended, will appreciate the spirit of the flyer and will also have viewed it in good humour.”

A statement issued from the Olde Angel Inn, declared that the pub is “one of the safest places in Nottingham to enjoy a drink. People of all colours, creeds, religions, races and sexualities frequent[ly drink in] this most tolerant of venues.”

They went on to state: “Those people who drink in the pub, for whom the poster was intended, will appreciate the spirit of the flyer and will also have viewed it in good humour.”

“Lydia, our bar girl who designed the flyer, is a feisty feminist who, in the face of incredible bullying from television, radio and the local newspaper – has stood by her choice of words and flyer – and we stand by her.”

The Old Angel Inn, which is renowned for being one of the oldest pubs in Nottingham, announced that they will now be hosting a different event for Valentines Day this year, and that a new flyer will be released soon.

Belinda Toor

Feature Image by David Lally  wikimedia commons 

Image by Nick Tyler captainpigheart.com

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook

Lead articlesNews