Friday Five Way: 28th February

Welcome to the first of what will be a weekly online feature, in which Impact Sport will cast an eye over the weekend’s football fixtures to try and form the perfect five-fold accumulator. Given the nature of such things, we don’t expect a particularly high success rate but if we can better the ‘Super Six’ predictions of the insipid Jamie Redknapp we’ll consider ourselves on the right track. Below are five predictions along with the ‘logic’ behind why they’ve been selected, with the best odds available for that result. No recommended stake will be given; we trust you to use your own money responsibly. Remember, investments may go up as well as down.

Everton v West Ham- Saturday 28th- KO: 3PM
Bet: EVERTON WIN
Best Price: 1/2

We’ll begin with what ought to be the home banker of the five; that in spite of the fact West Ham are aiming for their fifth straight league and Everton have lost three of their last four. However, I think the trip to Goodison Park might prove a bridge too far for the Hammers. Everton ought to have no issues motivating themselves for this game, having lost to a last minute goal from a dubious free kick at Chelsea last weekend. Despite that 1-0 defeat, they still looked a very good outfit.

If we can better the ‘Super Six’ predictions of the insipid Jamie Redknapp we’ll consider ourselves on the right track.

Hull City v Newcastle United-Saturday 28th- KO: 3PM
Bet: HULL WIN
Best Price: 29/20

Another home win, although not the short price favourite Everton are. A shade under 6/4 looks an attractive price (in an accumulator) for a Hull team who have been solid at home for most of the season and won 4-0 away at Cardiff last week. Newcastle still looked rather disjointed at home to Villa last weekend as they search for a way to re-structure their team following the loss of Yohann Cabaye. Loic Remy bailed them out of that game, and Remy staying off the score sheet could be the key to this one coming in.

Despite that 1-0 defeat, they still looked a very good outfit.

Burnley v Derby County – Saturday 28th- KO: 3PM
Bet: BURNLEY WIN
Best Price: 13/10

This selection could prove to be the accumulator’s undoing, as this game between promotion chasers Burnley and Derby promises to be a tight encounter. However, home advantage and the form of Danny Ings have led me to plump for a home win. Burnley are unbeaten in the league at home this season whilst Derby have only won two of their last six away games. Whoever takes lead of Burnley’s scouting strategy must have a fair eye for a striker. The loss of Charlie Austin appeared potentially disastrous, but Danny Ings and Sam Vokes have notched up 36 league goals between them to more than compensate for his departure.

Southampton v Liverpool- Saturday 28th- KO: 5.30PM.
Bet: DRAW
Best Price: 13/5

The most attractive fixture of the Premier League weekend is the televised 5.30pm Saturday game between Southampton and Liverpool. Liverpool are top of the form table, and with good reason as some of their football has been electric. With the offensive potential in their team, I can’t see them getting beat. Southampton though, in my opinion, are one of the most impressive teams in the division without the ball. Their pressing game might be a risk considering the pace in Liverpool’s team, but I think it has the potential to disturb them. There is a danger that Southampton could tail off in the season’s last few months. They can’t realistically qualify for Europe but are too far from the relegation zone to be concerned about survival. I hope they don’t as they are one of this season’s success stories. Score draw.

Southampton though, in my opinion, are one of the most impressive teams in the division without the ball.

Roma v Inter Milan- Saturday 28th- KO: 7.45PM.
Bet: ROMA WIN
Best Price: 7/10

To try and add an element of the exotic, I’ve plumed for a Serie A selection. It’s an evening kick off, so if the previous four selections have returned you might want to postpone that trip to the pub in favour of 90 minutes in front of BT Sport 2. Much like Liverpool, Roma have benefited from having no European commitments this season and have emerged as surprising challengers to Juventus. Gervinho has seemed revitalised under his old mentor Rudi Garcia, Totti is still going strong and flair abounds via Ljajic and Pjanic. Inter meanwhile are no longer the challengers for the Scudetto they used to be and will have to be content with a Europa League place at best. Ought to be a home win.

Those five games come to an accumulative price of approximately 45/1! We’ll see.

Dan Zeqiri

Best Odds sourced www.oddschecker.com (Accurate at 18.00 26.02.013).

Image courtesy of uk.eurosport.com

Follow Impact Sport on Twitter and Facebook