Indie Gaming and why you should get in to it

Independent Games development is on the rise. If you have been paying attention to the release of PS4 and XboxOne, you might have heard that both of these platforms support Indie developers. People who love playing games now make their own games. It has become easier and much cheaper to do so, and digital distribution platforms such as Steam allow great games to reach a huge audience.

The global interest in Indie gaming can be seen by looking at crowd funding websites such as Kickstarter, where people are throwing money to new developers.

Here at Impact Gaming we’ve come up with a guide to the ins and outs of this new industry.

It’s rough, and the games are often unpolished, but as a developer or a player, it’s a great place to see the most creative games.

From the developers themselves

Dan Pearce, developer of Castles in the Sky and 10 Second Ninja:

“To me, indie gaming is this hive of creativity, and a sign of where the larger side of the industry might start to go. It’s rough, and the games are often unpolished, but as a developer or a player, it’s a great place to see the most creative games.”

Alan Zucconi , developer of Still Time, Raptus and other indie titles:

“My work with Sony has been extremely positive so far. It is really great to see these big companies jumping in the “gaming revolution” and spending time and effort supporting indie developers. Big gaming companies are rarely willing to take risks with their creations, which is their biggest disadvantage. Indie developers are passionate about making these unique titles and are aiming at players who are bored playing the same games over and over. The ease of making and distributing games has caused a golden age of indie games”.

Big gaming companies are rarely willing to take risks with their creations, which is their biggest disadvantage.

Five reasons why you should explore indie gaming

1. Unique ideas

Independent developers can’t rival the funding of major companies, so they have to compete with them through story, art-style and really creative, never before seen concepts.

1. They are not tied down by corporations

Indie developers are not dictated by publishers (they don’t have one), so they can make whatever they want and how they want it. The only people they have to pitch their idea to is you.

1. You can contribute to the games

Indie games are by gamers for gamers. Independent developers are well known to communicate with gamers and take on their feedback. Some games require financial backing and you can contribute through crowd funding websites to make the game happen. Idea exchanging happens on all levels.

1. They can run on almost any computer

You don’t need an expensive and super powerful computer. All indie games are easily downloadable and support all operating systems; you can even put them on your laptop or smartphone and play on the go.

1. They are cheap

Lets face it – not everyone wants to spend £40 on a new game, especially on a student budget. You can pick up an indie game for as little as one pound. Frequent online discounts and sales make this an even better deal.

Indie culture is becoming mainstream and provides tons of fun for experienced gamers and is perfect for people to get in to gaming if they haven’t done so already.

Richard Lakucs

Follow Impact Gaming on Twitter and Facebook

FeaturesGaming
  • Brian
    4 August 2014 at 15:57