Live Review: Mikill Pane, Rock City (6/02/14)

Mikill Pane stormed his way through his eclectic set at Rock City after an impressive display of varying genres and numerous techniques in which to keep the audience hooked.

I say eclectic because there’s not really a specific genre in which to place Pane’s musicianship, which personally I find incredibly entertaining. The predominant element is rap and this is undoubtedly Pane’s strong point. His lyrics are witty and comical and stayed with me long after I walked away. He delivers them with such ferocity that you really do believe in ‘The Return of Mister Pane’, the set’s hilarious and angry highlight. Pane believes in singing his own hooks and when he does, there is an undeniable element of surprise in the room that this loud mouthed beast of a man could actually hold a decent tune. He brought his DJ along for support, who interjected with the occasional well known track (‘Rock City bitch, Rock Rock City bitch’ was a comical if not original interlude especially popular with the numerous Nottingham natives present) as well as supporting Pane throughout his slot. This made for an incredibly diverse set. For example, at one point Pane was rapping a surprisingly lovely accompaniment to his famous pal Ed Sheeran’s ‘A-Team’ and the next he was dancing around the stage to dubstep. Diverse or bewildering, depending on how you looked at it.

Whatever it was, it was exciting and captivating and the crowd were eating it up. I can’t imagine boredom is a popular emotion at any of Mikill Pane’s gigs. Unless you’re not a fan of indie hip-hop with a splattering of electronic grime. Oh you’re not? Too bad.

Four piece grime/ hip-hop act Rascals definitely deserve a mention for their sterling effort to warm up the crowd. Their support set was catchy and energetic and there’s no reason to think they couldn’t have a great future on the scene, especially with twitter backing from Professor Green and Wiley. While their style could be seen as a little hackneyed, considering they’re so young there’s plenty of time to find their niche, which judging by this set seems inevitable.

Liv Clark

GigsMusic