Fashion Week

NYFW A/W ’14: Day One

Impact Style are kicking off fashion month with daily reports from the four cities to give you the edited highlights of the best shows in town. It seems the icy conditions over in New York haven’t hindered any of the usual busy workings of NYFW but already on day one there are a few changes,  mainly in location over at Alexander Wang. We’ve selected the most anticipated shows over the coming month to provide you with everything you’ll need to get prepared (as always, early) for the A/W season…

wang-1_2816244a

Alexander Wang:
This season Wang already spiced things up through moving his NY show out of the fashion hub that is Manhattan, and over into the urban district of Brooklyn. A clever move of location to highlight the change in direction of his label perhaps? As always, Wang didn’t disappoint in providing us with a hard-edged show of grunge and street wear. Patched pocketed coats, checked collarless tunics and some serious slicked down, parted hair showed us that Wang hadn’t changed despite his recent move to Balenciaga. This was a fierce show that highlighted his roots to minimal athletic asethetic; with city shorts, zigzagged jumpers and dusty coloured macs all proving his label as a tough one to pull off. A personal favourite was the suede dresses with jagged hemlines, all stomped down the catwalk in a true fierce Wang fashion.

ALTUZARRA-2_2816361a

Altuzuraa:

Joseph Altuzuraa’s plans for A/W ’14 obviously involve heavy colour popping and blocking – mixing autumnal berries and cobalt blues with striking greys to inject the perfect amount of colour into our winter wardrobes. This collection embraces ultimate freedom in the cold season through rebelling with colour and texture and mixing it with comfort and luxury. The fitted dresses and coats bonded with fuchsia’s, sapphire blue’s and orange hues make these pieces sexy, powerful and timeless. Upper -thigh splits and silky slip dresses ooze a sense of ‘sensible seduction’, whilst the tipping point of the show had to be the multicoloured checked fur jacket with burgundy bow for added sophistication.

911578_10151972333241446_513646088_n

Prabal Gurung:

Gurung’s Nepalese roots undoubtedly inspired the traveller-chic aesthetic that dominated his AW ’14 collection. The scarf was a major player in the collection, first bundled tightly around necks, then blanketed across shoulders and finally worked into the collection itself as sashes of print and silk twisted and criss-crossed on knitwear, dresses and tailoring, lending classic pieces an unfamiliar edge.  Grey-hued furs harked back to snowy climes and indigenous hides though scarlets, fuchsias and ambers promised warmth in the collection. Body-con, sunglasses and functional work pieces like cropped trousers and unfussy knits made this collection city-dweller appropriate however, and the final showing of languid gowns swished immaculately with the strong stride of the models, who admirably kept their cool despite the unwelcome arrival of a crowned streaker desperate to make his very own catwalk debut.

Jessie Roseblade & Amrit Santos

Image Credits:
Isidore Montag at www.fashion.telegraph.co.uk
Ben Fredericson via Flickr

Follow Impact Style on Facebook and Twitter.

Fashion WeekStyle