What’s On Your Doorstep: Nottingham Racecourse

There’s a simple pleasure in going for a day at the races. It’s a day of sport that everyone can enjoy with literally no prior equine knowledge – have a drink, have a flutter and horse around with your mates.

And there’s a racecourse only three miles from your house: Nottingham Racecourse, situated at Colwick Park, hosts flat races from April through to November and attracts star names of the racing world on a regular basis.

Getting There

The racecourse is situated about two miles from the city centre, close to both the City Ground and Meadow Lane. From town, the nearest bus route from the city centre is Number 44 which departs from King Street in the city centre, or the Link 2 (yellow Park & Ride) which stops on Parliament Street and Collins Street. Alternatively a cab shouldn’t cost more than about £8, so if there’s a few of you it won’t be too expensive.

“If you attend a winter meeting on a Wednesday afternoon, you’ll be surrounded by a lot of old couples squinting at their copy of the Racing Post”

Tickets

Tickets for normal race days are £12 with a £2 discount on production of your NUS card, and for that you get roughly six races. Racing starts at lunchtime for the winter meetings and the last race normally goes off at around 2:30pm, whereas summer meetings have a variety of start times – certain April and May meetings that start at 5pm may be a nice way to forget about the impending doom of exam season, and with a finish time of around 8:30pm, are perfect for a saunter into town afterwards.

Atmosphere

If you attend a winter meeting at 1pm on a Wednesday afternoon, it’s likely you’ll be surrounded by a lot of old couples squinting at their copy of the Racing Post. If you go in half-term, you’ll see more families than usual, but that often only adds to a friendly atmosphere.

“An old-style sweet shop, manned by a pinafore-wearing old lady, provides for those with a sweet tooth”

Food and Drink

With punters being at the racecourse for up to five hours, refreshments are a lucrative money-spinner. With this is mind, the range of drinks is disappointing – a single lager, bitter and Guinness is offers little in the way of choice. £3.90 for a pint seems on the expensive side for an average race day, too. Soft drinks are available but also with a limited selection.

A fish and chip bar sells large portions of good quality fish and chips for £8. An old-style sweet shop, manned by a pinafore-wearing old lady, provides for those with a sweet tooth.

A day at Nottingham Racecourse with your mates can make for a great evening. With a track so close to Lenton, and good quality racing on offer throughout the final term, it’s certainly an experience to be had before the year is up.

Jonnie Barnett

Follow Impact Sport on Twitter and Facebook

Image credited to hitched.co.uk