Style

Oscars 2014: Best and Worst Dressed

Yes, the Oscar’s may be the biggest night of the awards season, but it’s also one of the biggest nights in fashion; Zoe and Tara take a look at the highs and lows of the showbiz elite, at arguably the most exciting event of the evening: the red carpet arrivals.

These leading ladies prove that it’s not just their acting talents that have earned them their stellar status: their impeccable dress sense is what cements their position as Hollywood royalty.

Untitled

Best Dressed: Lupita Nyong’o Lupita truly stole the show; not only did she win an Oscar for her role as ‘Best Supporting Actress’ in ‘12 years a Slave’, but her powder blue plunging Prada gown gains her the title of ‘most stylish star’ of the night. Never one to shy away from bright colours on the red carpet, Lupita’s ethereal dress, which was made especially for the star, was accessorized with simple gold jewelry: perfection.

cate

Cate Blanchett: Cate Blanchett was another triumph on the red carpet, wearing a nude fairytale Armani Prive gown with silver beading and Swarovski crystal detailing, she took home the ‘Best Leading Actress’ Award for her role in Woody Allen’s latest film, ‘Blue Jasmine’.

ah

Anne Hathaway: Anne Hathaway dared to dazzle in the edgy, black, backless Gucci Halter dress, embellished with silver mirror-like feature on the bodice and around the waist- a gladiatorial-esque look that ensured she shone on the red carpet.

aa

Amy Adams: Oscar nominee Amy Adams exuded sophistication in her simple sapphire blue Gucci gown pared with an elegant up-do and minimal jewellery- demonstrating that sometimes less is more.

sb

Sandra Bullock: Wearing Alexander McQueen, Sandra’s midnight blue dress with a sweetheart neckline and pleated, asymmetric sash compliment her curled side-sweep in order to produce a glamorous but beautifully understated look.

Naturally with the good come the bad and the 2014 Oscars was no exception. While out of all the award shows this season the Oscars arguably exhibited the fewest amount of fashion faux pas, some stars still missed the mark slightly resulting in a few disappointing outfit choices.

akjm

Anna Kendrick’s J.Mendel gown with its slit skirt, mesh panels, asymmetric neckline and floral details around her stomach tried to include too many aspects of a red carpet outfit in one dress and instead meant it distracted the eye away from the great Piaget jewellery and Rauwolf clutch bag, which Anna chose to accessorise her dress with.

jr

Julia Roberts chose to play it safe in a black lace Givenchy gown and while not the worst dressed celebrity of the night, Julia has made some much better choices at previous fashion awards. The long dress with its lace and peplum detail seemed a bit sombre for such an extravagant award show such as the Oscars.

pc

Penelope Cruz is rarely on worst dressed lists but her pale pink Giambattista dress seriously failed to impress. The excess of material and the pastel colour drowned her famous figure and seemed to resemble something you might fashion together with your bed sheets for a toga party.

lg

Now if anyone was going to shock us with an extravagant Oscar outfit it would be Lady Gaga. However, she shocked spectators with her fitted Versace gown simply because it was so unattention grabbing. Teamed with the odd addition of a scarf wrapped round her neck and a plain up do, Lady Gaga’s look failed to highlight any imagination. Instead she has chosen to continue to morph into Donatella, and that’s why she has found herself on this list.

phar

And finally Pharrell Williams for we only have two words; shorts, really? Originally outfitted in tuxedo by Lanvin, Pharrell opted to dress down the look by teaming it with a pair of Bermuda shorts. Instead of making a bold fashion statement, Pharrell looks as if he half-dressed and this casual look just doesn’t have a place on the Oscar red carpet.  Pharrell would have looked far more dapper if he had stuck to a clean cut suit.

So there we have it, a short run down of the best and worst dressed at the Oscars 2014.  Some stars displayed their fashion credentials on the red carpet while others didn’t quite capture the essence of the Oscars with their outfit choices. However, just as the nature of the award show is to have some win and some lose, so is the nature of the fashion world and we’re already excited for what the 2015 Oscars will bring.

Tara Bell & Zoe Williamson

Image Credits:
wwww.dailymail.co.uk
www.nydailynews.com
www.theguardian.co.uk

Follow Impact Style on Twitter and Facebook.

Style