Fashion Week

The Artistry of Couture

Year after year, Paris Haute Couture week delivers some of fashion’s most striking looks, and 2014 was no different. As fashion-month rolls into Paris once again, we’re flashing back to the highlights of this year’s high fashion extravaganza.

Models present creations by Rad HouraniAvant Garde designer and pioneer of unisex couture, Rad Hourani’s show saw models grace the runway in all black ensembles consisting of sharp, clean lines and leather. The collection was given a severe edge with the masking of models faces and sleek scraped hair, creating uniformity between the genders of models. This muting of gender highlighted the collection’s androgyny and its unisex nature.

Elie Saab Lemon_Fotor

Other shows, such as Elie Saab, were driven by elegant feminine designs in sweet pastel shades. These soft lavender, pink and lemon hues were coupled with delicate, light fabrics and bateau necklines to create Saabs signature red carpet glamour gowns. Intermingled with his signature style were Grecian goddess style gowns with pleats and plunging necklines in rich gold’s and crisp whites. In terms of hair and makeup for Saab’s show, simplicity reigned supreme. Hair was effortlessly styled in a centre part and flowed loosely at the back. Make-up too went understated and colour was kept to a minimum; in keeping with the pastel colours on the runway, a gentle pink was applied to lips and cheeks. This subtle look lends itself to spring/summer and can be recreated with Topshop Lipstick in Pillow talk.

chanel-ss-2014-haute-couture-makeup-5_Fotor

One of the most bold haute couture beauty looks came from Chanel with whose models exuded 70’s glamour. The look was achieved with a sweeping jet black winged eyeliner on the eyelid and a generous dusting of glitter underneath. Expect to see this bold, fun look on the festival circuit this summer as it can easily be replicated with Maybelline’s Eye-Studio Gel Liner in black and Lime Crime’s Zodiac Cosmetic Glitter in Ophiucus – the perfect multicolour shade of holographic glitter that oozes studio 54.

Niamh McNiff

For more from Impact Style find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter

Images: vogue.co.uk, ammorphia, get-the-look.com, guardian.co.uk

Fashion WeekStyle