Lead articles

“It’s not a building worthy of the title ‘Students’ Union'” – SU Activities Officer Joe Caunce Reveals Portland Building Overhaul

The University of Nottingham’s (UoN) Portland Building is set to be completely redeveloped, the Students’ Union (SU) has announced.

In a recently published blog post, current SU Activities Officer, Joe Caunce, announced the launch of ‘The Portland Review’; a plan to overhaul the Portland Building.

“It will make an unprecedented difference for students”.

Joe called the current Portland Building “dysfunctional” in the blog and said the redevelopment project will make “an unprecedented difference for students”.

Later in the blog, Joe wrote that most students see the SU building as a bar or a place to relax, and this means “it’s not a building worthy of the title ‘Students’ Union’”.

“It will be a welcome breath of fresh air for all students who enter it”.

He went on to say that the plans intend to ensure that the new Portland Building is “a place designed by students for students, functioning as the heart of student life”.

Research by Crowd DNA with the SU shows that Nottingham students want flexible space for activities in the new building, and for it to be a place away from education, a “welcome breath of fresh air for all students who enter it”.

“It will provide students with somewhere to wile away hours instead of merely popping in for a quick meal deal”

Joe added that he wants the redevelopment to turn the Portland Building into “a focal point that unites the student population and creates a sense of community, providing students with somewhere to wile away hours instead of merely popping in for a quick meal deal”.

The new SU needs to be a “hallmark of student identity flowing with students, positive energy and new ideas” according to the blog and the new SU Officers are already making progress with the plans.

The blog revealed that the SU have had their plans accepted by the University and are now working with architects. The new Portland Building is expected to be finished in 2017.

Below is the official concept for the new Portland Building, released by the SU:

Portland Review
Beth Rowland

Main image: Andrea DG via Flickr
Inserted image: University of Nottingham Students’ Union

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook

Lead articlesNews