Travel

Top Ski Destinations

As winter draws closer, it’s the perfect time to book a snow holiday. Whether you’re a beginner or professional, a skier or a snowboarder, there’s something for everyone. From France and Canada to Norway, Austria and Sweden Impact Travel lists its top ski destinations: 

Val d’Isere, France

From its days as a small alpine farming village, Val d’Isere has come a long way, being known today throughout Europe as one of the best spots for snowsports. With over 300 km of marked pisted runs, and a wide range of off-the-slopes activities, including ice skating, canoeing and hiking, there’s enough to keep you busy everyday of your trip. For après ski check out Victors Bar or Pacific Bar.

Les Arcs, France

Located in Savoie in the Tarentaise valley, Les Arcs is actually a series of resorts at various altitudes. Sitting next to a 300 year old Swiss Stone pine forest, the region has some of the most breath-taking views in Europe and also boasts a heated outdoor pool for those extra chilly days. For après ski try the Ret Hot saloon bar or El Latino loco bar.

Courchevel, France

Situated in the French Alps, Courchevel has been cited as one of the finest ski resorts on earth. With over 100 ski runs to choose from, the area is described as having some of the best snow in the world and even has its own airport located on the slopes. In your down-time try The Funky Fox or The Caterail for drinks and music.

Verbier, Switzerland

With incredible views over Mont Blanc, Verbier has been described as an exceptional ski area. The region is suitable for both beginners and advanced, and offers not only great skiing and snowboarding, but quality sledding, hiking and paragliding too. For après ski try Brasserie Le Bec or Cave & art wine bar.

Zermatt, Switzerland

Zermatt is surrounded by the beautiful mountains of the Pennine Alps, and although famous for mountaineering, it is a well-established ski region. It also boasts a freestyle fun park for snowboarders named ‘Gravity Park’ in which Olympic hopefuls train.

Zell am See, Austria

Based around a beautiful lake, Zell am See is a wonderful spot to visit, and if you’re a beginner, it’s the perfect place to start thanks to a wide array of easy slopes. The ski season in Zell am See begins in early autumn and extends right through to early summer. Try Café Pavillon or Villa Crazy Daisy for the best of Austrian après ski.

Voss, Norway

Located amongst the stunning Sogne and Hardanger Fjords on the West coast of Norway, Voss is sprinkled with snow topped mountains and white water rivers, allowing it to become a scenic hub for skiing, water-sports and skydiving. Check out Fredrik’s bar or Tre Bror café for tasty Norwegian treats.

Whistler, Canada

Situated in the Canadian province of British Columbia and ranked as North America’s number one ski resort, Whistler is a world class powder-filled dream. From hiking and biking to skiing and snowboarding, the resort offers the crème de la crème of snow activities and has even been the setting for an MTV reality TV show. For the best après ski try Dusty’s Bar & BBQ or Cinnamon Bear Bar.

Riksgransen, Sweden

Being situated just 200km from the Arctic Circle, Riksgransen is the most northern ski resort in Sweden. The area offers some of the best snow in the country and provides a great mix of high and low slopes making it suitable for all abilities. With plenty of live bands and DJs, Riksgransen has a real vibe of entertainment that will keep you coming back year after year.

Jasna, Slovakia

For a more unusual spot head to Jasna in Slovakia. Situated in the centre of the country, the resort lies in the Low Tatras Mountains and boasts over 40 lifts. Jasna offers various free ride zones as well as two illuminated slopes in the evening, making it a small resort with big ambition.

Caitlin Kelly

Follow Impact Travel on Facebook and Twitter

Images courtesy of Ridge Tahoe Resort Hotel3brian and Leo-seta via Flickr 

Travel
  • Karting Kev
    10 November 2014 at 07:40