Impact Film & TV News – September

University life can be hectic, and so Impact Film & TV is here to keep you up to speed on some of the most important developments in the world of Film and TV, both locally and on a wider scale.

Mayhem is coming… 

fnmf

October 15th-18th will see the return of Mayhem Film Festival to Nottingham. The festival, now in its 11th year, is held at Broadway Cinema in Nottingham and screens on a huge selection of horror films. With screenings, special guests and monster making workshops among the fantastic line up, this looks to be an unmissable couple of days.

Day tickets and full festival passes are now available for purchase. For more information, please click here.

Scalarama draws to a close 

fnsl

As mentioned in the last news update, Nottingham’s Scalarama Film festival has been running all September and has been a great success. However, September is not yet over and there is still a number of screenings to be enjoyed, including Impact’s very own Scalarama double-bill on Monday 28th September at Screen 22.

For more information on exactly what you can still get involved in, click here.

Civil War: Team Cap vs Team Iron Man 

2016 has two big superhero ‘vs’ movies. In March, the Man of Steel (Henry Cavill) take on The Dark Knight (Ben Affleck) in the aptly named Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice, then in May, Captain America (Chris Evans) will take on Iron Man (Robert Downey Jnr) in Captain America: Civil War. Civil War will pit stars of the MCU franchise and, for a while the big question has been: who will be taking on who? Now, Marvel has officially released concept art revealing the answer.

fnimt

fnct

As can be seen in the images, Iron Man will be joined by War Machine, The Vision, Black Panther and surprisingly, Black Widow. On Captain America’s team, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Falcon, The Winter Soldier and Agent 13. These images may pose more questions than they may answer however, with  Scarlet Witch noticeably absent and no inclusion of Spider-man.

Game of Thrones cleans up at Emmys

fnea 

The 67th Emmy awards show celebrated another fantastic year of television. Hosted by Lonely Island’s Andy Samberg (who opened the show with a hilarious number lamenting the time needed to watch every TV show), the awards showcased all the best of the small screen. Game of Thrones came out on top, smashing the previous Emmy record by winning 12 of the prestigious awards. Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister) picked up ‘Best Supporting Actor’ and, among the show’s other awards, it was won ‘Best Drama Series’ and ‘Best Writing’.  Other notable winners included How to Get Away with Murder’s Viola Davis as ‘Best Lead Actress’ and Jon Hamm was awarded ‘Best Lead Actor’ for his role in Mad Men. 

Jenna Coleman set to leave Doctor Who 

fnjc

Just as the sci-fi show kicks of its ninth series, the BBC has confirmed that the Doctor’s time travelling companion, Clara Oswald (played by Jenna Coleman) will be leaving the show to take the role of Queen Victoria in a new drama series on the famous British monarch over on ITV. Her departure will come after three years on the show, acting alongside Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi, as well as taking a pivotal role in the show’s 50th anniversary special. With Alex Kingston’s River Song confirmed for the Christmas special, Clara’s departure is likely to occur in the finale of the current series. This announcement is sure to begin fervent speculation as to who will be chosen next to travel alongside the Time Lord.

Doctor Who: Series 9 can be seen on BBC 1 on Saturday evenings.

Henry Stanley

Images: vagueonthehow via Flickr; Hans Splinter via Flickr

Impact Film & TV news – we find the news, so you don’t have to

Got a local Film or TV news piece for us? Get in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below

Get tickets for Impact’s own Scalarama Double Bill here