2016: Hot Or Not – Rogue One

Let’s wave goodbye to 2015! Good times, bad times, we’ve had them all – but you know what they say, as one door closes, another one opens. Over the coming month we’ll be bringing you a snapshot of everything 2016 has to offer – the good, the bad and the ugly. Hold onto your hats folks, it’s going to be a bumpy ride!

Finally Star Wars is getting back to what every single fan of the franchise has been crying out for – more prequels.

Yes, Disney is taking the Star Wars franchise back before A New Hope once again, but this time, the events are set only one year before the original trilogy. It will certainly be a welcome return for classic Stormtroopers, and Godzilla director Gareth Edwards appears to be adopting the same appreciation for practical effects that JJ Abrams brought back to the franchise.

Rogue One will follow a rag-tag crew of rebels on a mission to steal the plans for the Emperors new super-weapon: The Death Star. Spoiler alert – this will lead to rebellious Princess on the run from the Empire, carrying the stolen plans, and destruction of said super-weapon.

R1

This becomes a major problem, as much of the excitement for The Force Awakens was the mystery surrounding the plot. There is none of this here, and worse than that, audiences have already seen an outmatched rebel team take on the Empire – the outcome is known. Worst of all this “spin off“ film, and certainly the two planned after it (a young Han Solo film (2018) and potential Boba Fett film (2020)) seem like missed opportunities to expand the universe.

The Force Awakens has been described by many as a soft reboot, and in many ways it is. It follows the same continuity but sets up a universe that has evolved since the last time audiences saw it, when the credits began to role for Return of the Jedi. Take us to unknown places, with unknown stakes, with that air of mystery and wonder that Star Wars has recaptured with The Force Awakens.

Find out if Rogue One can expand the universe December 2016.

Glenn Tanner

Click here for more Features and News

Get in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Images sourced from ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’, Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.