Interview: Musicality’s Anything Goes

With the new year comes the promise of an exciting new production from UoN’s award-winning musical theatre society, Musicality. Impact Arts caught up with the director of Anything Goes, Lucy Castle, to get the inside gossip on the show: 

After the success of last year’s The Producers, why have you chosen to put on Anything Goes as this year’s production?

I felt Anything Goes was perfect for the society. Like most musical theatre groups, we are very girl heavy! I wanted to choose a show with a leading lady and equal gender split to represent the society’s talents. Aside from this, it’s extremely entertaining; it encompasses all my favourite things about musical theatre – comedy, tap dancing and catchy tunes. I love choreography, so wanted to choose a musical with a lot of dancing – tap dancing is my absolute favourite thing to do!

Can you tell us a little bit about the show?

Billy Crocker, a stock broker on Wall Street, stows away on board the SS American to win the heart of Hope Harcourt, with the help of nightclub singer Reno Sweeney and second rate gangster Moonface Martin. One small problem – Hope is engaged to eccentric Lord Evelyn Oakleigh. I won’t reveal too much, other than you can expect some big dance numbers and hilarity along the way.

Gangsters, false identities, love and sailors – what has been your greatest challenge in directing this musical?

Not only have you got to think about directing scenes and choreographing numbers, but also think about set, scene changes, costume, props, tech… The list goes on. I’m not the most organised person in the world, so I think the biggest challenge has been trying to keep track of everything going on in the production, juggling this alongside my final year and a part time job! Luckily I have the support of an extremely hard working team, who have all been brilliant in their roles.

What is your favourite part of the production, and why?

Blow, Gabriel, Blow. The gospel feel is unique in the production – the music is brilliant and so much fun to dance to. The cast all have a great time performing it as well.

Have you interpreted Anything Goes differently from previous versions of the musical?

As much as I love Sutton Foster and Joel Grey, I found the 2011 Broadway version a bit too static. Without saying too much, I’ve tried to put my own personal twist on it with regards to the choreography, trying to make each number as big and spectacular as possible. We have an extremely talented ensemble so I wanted to make the most of them.

Why should UoN students come and see Anything Goes?

It has flawless singers, sexy dancers, buff sailors, farcical comedy and the occasional dad-joke. Whether you’re a fan of musicals or not, this one is guaranteed to make you smile.

Sum up Anything Goes in three words!

Delightful, delicious, de-lovely!

Amy Wilcockson

‘Anything Goes’ is running at the Nottingham Arts Theatre from Wednesday 10th February to Saturday 13th February, for more information and to book tickets see here

For more interviews, follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter

ArtsInterviews