BREAKING: Lorry and motorcyclist collide on Derby Road

Students have faced difficulties getting onto campus this morning after a collision between a lorry and a motorcyclist outside the University of Nottingham’s West entrance.

A spokesman from Nottinghamshire Police told Impact: “We were called at 8.55am to a collision on Derby Road in Nottingham between a lorry and motorcyclist. A man has been taken to hospital and we are still unsure of his injuries”.

The Y36 and Nottingham City Transport tweeted about delays to their services caused by the accident. Nottingham City Transport said: “RTC [Road Traffic Collision] on Woodside Road Orange 36 toward Chilwell diverting via A52 & Wollaton Rd. Stops on Woodside Rd & Broadgate/Humber Rd cannot be served”.

“All Derby Road was blocked heading into Nottingham, and the police were just cordoning off the road as I arrived”

Amy Wilcockson, a second year English student, was delayed by 45 minutes after driving into University from her home in Selston.

She told Impact: “All Derby Road was blocked heading into Nottingham, and the police were just cordoning off the road as I arrived. I had a 45 minute delay because of the traffic, was late for University commitments and had to take a detour through Beeston”.

The motorcycle was taken away at around 10.35am and Derby Road is now clear, with bus services returning to their normal route.

Tamsin Parnell

Image: HelenCobain via Flickr

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter