Gaming

Inspiration from unlikely sources: Computer Games and Style

Fashion and trends have always been dictated by society; Chanel’s masculine and liberating designs during the 1920s – a time of general female empowerment, are just one example that comes to mind. So it should come as no surprise that designers in the 21st century are starting to get inspired by modern technology and computer games. DRKN, a Swedish unisex label has done just that for their Autumn Winter 2016 collection (read the founder’s interview with Dazed here). Impact Style has teamed up with Impact Gaming  to bring you 4 computer games worth taking a look at for style inspiration.

Bastion

[row]

[column size=’1/2′]Bastion 1[/column]

[column size=’1/2′]Bastion 2[/column][/row]

The world has ended, and it’s remains are falling away into the abyss. Don’t think about that now though! There is interesting costumes for all the remaining humans left alive. The end of the world, at least in this case, doesn’t mean the end of fashion.

Layering and a surprising amount of stripes seems to be the key to survival after the end of the world. Start with this dress from Topshop, add another layer of stripes in form of this jumper dress from Zara and finish it all off with this deep red scarf from &otherstories.

[row]

[column size=’1/3′]striped dress[/column]

[column size=’1/3′]zara stripes[/column]

[column size=’1/3′]otherstories scarf[/column]

[/row]

Psychonauts

[row]

[column size=’1/2′]psychonauts 3[/column]

[column size=’1/2′]Psychonauts 1

Psychonauts 2[/column][/row]

A summer camp for kids with mental powers goes epically wrong. All the children end up brainless, and it is up to new camper Rasputin to rescue their brains and stop them being used to take over the world. Not only does Rasputin have to save the brains, he has to explore a faux-60’s world, with its iconic colourful designs.

Get into the brain hunting spirit with this classic pair of Dr Martens 8 eye boots, this multi-colour crochet tee from Topshop and these colourful leggings from Monki. 

[row]

[column size=’1/3′]Dr Martens Pascal[/column]

[column size=’1/3′]topshop crochet top[/column]

[column size=’1/3′]monki trousers[/column]

[/row]

Bioshock Infinite

[row]

[column size=’1/2′]Bioshock Infinite 1[/column]

[column size=’1/2′]Bioshock Infinite 2[/column][/row]

A floating city where racism is the norm, and the Founding Fathers are revered as gods. Stuck in late 19th century Americana this city takes much of its influence from this period, with the costumes dominated by the style of the time. Corsets, top hats and neckerchiefs abound, if you are a fan of the period’s clothing, it is a great place to take inspiration from.

The accessories will make this inspired outfit. Stock up on neckerchiefs like this one from Asos and fedora hats of the type offered at New Look. The rest of the outfit should be classy but doesn’t have to be stuck in the 19th century per se. Take this bardot body con dress from River Island for example; instant chic and class.

[row]

[column size=’1/3′]new look hat[/column]

[column size=’1/3′]river island dress[/column]

[column size=’1/3′]neckerchief asos[/column]

[/row]

Falllout 4

[row]

[column size=’1/2′]Fallout 4 3[/column]

[column size=’1/2′]Fallout 4 2[/column]

[/row]

The atomic bomb has destroyed civilisation. The player has to find their way round an alien Earth, full of monsters and barbarism. Even in this scarred Earth, there is style to be found. In the world of Fallout, society never really gave up on the fashion of the 50’s, so much of the clothing comes from the period. As long as you don’t mind the apocalyptic dirt, there are creative designs to be had.

Concentrating on practicality without compromising style, Fallout 4 promises a successful merger of 50s prim and masculine office style and army inspired prints and cuts. Get your tux jacket from Topshop and a pair of matching camouflage cargo pants from Zara. To complete the look add those khaki arm warmers from River Island. 

[row]

[column size=’1/3′]zara cargo[/column]

[column size=’1/3′]tux jacket topshop[/column]

[column size=’1/3′]arm warmers[/column]

[/row]

Tim Spencer and Raphaela Ring

Images: Characters from Fallout 4, Bioshock Infinite, Bastion and Psychonauts, New Look, River Island, Topshop, Asos, &otherstories

Follow Impact Style on TwitterFacebook and Instagram

Follow Impact Gaming on Facebook and Twitter, and feel free to leave a comment below

GamingStyle