Live Review: Rudimental, Rock City (04/03/16)

Rudimental headlined Nottingham’s famous Rock City to a sold out crowd on Friday night as part of their UK tour. Despite being classed as a drum and bass band, such a wide range of genres seep through into their music. There was an incredible atmosphere on the night, with the strong themes of love and happiness in Rudimental’s music inspiring and invigorating the crowd.

DJ M.A.X warmed up the crowd, followed by singer Anne-Marie who – despite being ill – pulled through to deliver a great performance. She features on many of Rudimental’s tracks, as well as Wretch 32’s ‘Alright With Me’. The crowd were supportive and I am expecting big things for her new track ‘Do It Right’, the first single from her upcoming album, a fusion of electro, R&B, hip-hop and pop.

As the blue lights filled the room, the long, instrumental introduction kept everyone in suspense. The excitement in the room was palpable as Rudimental kicked things off with ‘Right Here’, before launching into one of the highlights of the night: ‘I Will For Love’. The love they showed for themselves and the crowd was felt throughout their set.

“The evening brought hit after hit, going from ‘Not Giving In’, which had everyone singing along, to ‘We The Generation’ featuring incredible saxophone and trumpet solos”

Rudimental consists of Piers Aggett, Amir Amor, Kesi Dryden and Leon Rolle, hailing from Hackney, London. Throughout their set, the stage was packed with different singers and musicians, each bringing something different to their music, including Bridgette Amofah’s flawless vocals on ‘Free’ and performances from Thomas Jules and Will Heard as well.

The evening brought hit after hit, going from ‘Not Giving In’, which had everyone singing along, to ‘We The Generation’ featuring incredible saxophone and trumpet solos, before returning to more chilled vibes with ‘Never Let You Go’ and hitting the high notes in ‘Lay it All On Me’.

The group had everyone chanting “go far, spread love” to their track ‘Go Far’. It was all about the love at Rock City. The vocals were incredible with singer Will Heard’s Amy Winehouse-esque soul twang taking the song to the next level. The track was topped off with an incredible guitar solo – it is unbelievable that this track hasn’t been released as a single.

The energy in the room did not fade during ‘Bloodstream’ and ‘Baby’, which had everyone on stage cutting shapes left, right and centre. Rudimental looked so happy to be on stage doing what they do best, and it seemed that the crowd just wanted to get up there and join them. Reggae sounds were channeled into a cover of ‘Jamrock’, before a heavy jungle drum and bass beat had everyone chanting “boo yah ka” as the confetti was let loose.

“With such a wide range of genres infused into their sound, you are sure to find a hit you love”

The encore featured ‘Give You Up’, with a wireless keytar maintaining the pace of the set, before finishing off with ‘Waiting All Night’, a huge favourite for Rudimental fans. “We fucking love you”, they cried before leaving the stage. Well Rudimental, Nottingham fucking love you too.

Make sure to catch this group live. They are not ones to miss and with such a wide range of genres infused into their sound, you are sure to find a hit you love.

Nellie Khossousi

Image: Big Beat Press

Follow Impact Music on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter