“We have massively overachieved”: UoN Men’s Volleyball on a promising season and Varsity

IMPACT Sport caught up with Alex Dimitrov and Joel Matthews of the UoN Volleyball team to talk about their Varsity preparations, and just why it is such a special occasion.

How has the season gone so far?

“It’s been amazing, we’ve been massive underdogs and our goal was to not get relegated from the league. We have massively overachieved by qualifying for the finals of the premier league North.

“We won 3 of our 10 games and got to the championship quarters.”

Have there been any new players for this year that have really impressed? Will we see them at Varsity?

“It’s a brand new team, pretty much; we’ve had an American scholar, who has been instrumental this year. He’s been such an influence on the team; the same can be said for an ex-pro, who has come in and fitted into the team perfectly!

How is the preparation for Varsity going?

“Before Easter we were a bit bruised and battered, and training has been very intense, as we are now a performance sport at UoN.”

How is your recent record against Trent? Do you think you can improve/continue the record?

“It’s only the second year with volleyball as an official Varsity sport. Men’s won last year and women’s lost – it’s 2-0 in the men’s with unofficial.”

What is your favourite thing about the Varsity series?

“It’s been good to introduce people to sports they have never done before – Varsity is a great way to attract new members.

“The atmosphere is always brilliant – very personal!”

Are you looking to go any events aside from yours?

“Basketball, we’ve been meeting other people from performance sports and getting to know them well, and will go to their games – ice hockey, and football, for instance.”

Varsity Volleyball (Men’s and Women’s) is on Tuesday 10th May at Nottingham Trent University’s Clifton Campus.

Interview conducted by Joe Tanner

Words by Connor Higgs

Image: Impact Image Team

Follow @ImpactVarsity16 or like the Impact Sport Facebook page for more updates on the Varsity 2016 series.

SportVarsity