Trailer Watch – Beauty and the Beast

It’s finally here; the long-anticipated addition to the new set of accumulating Disney live action remakes, which includes the hugely popular Maleficent (2014) and Cinderella (2015). The official trailer for the magical Beauty and the Beast (2017) does not disappoint.

From the outset of the trailer, where the soft piano begins to play the famous introductory melody, we can all see that this remake is all set to be a complete hit.

Although the only cast member we even catch a glimpse of in this first trailer is Emma Watson, starring as Belle, it is evident that Disney has again excelled in their cast selection.

Not only is Emma Watson perfectly suited to the lead role, but she is working alongside other incredible actors and actresses, such as Dan Stevens (Beast), Emma Thompson (Mrs Potts), Ian McKellen (Cogsworth) and Ewan McGregor (Lumiere).

Throughout the trailer, the emphasis is placed upon the beautiful scenery of the Beast’s castle. The trailer shows how the once grand and glittering ballrooms and halls have become shadows of their former glory, covered in a veil of abandonment and disuse that it is certain Cogsworth, Mrs Potts and Lumiere will lament in due course in the film.

This is, of course, the focus until the iconic moment where the camera zooms in upon the face of a young boy, whose face is then torn through by monstrous claws, mirroring exactly the exact same moment in the animated film in 1991 that occurs in the narrated introduction to the ‘tale as old as time’.

The trailer concludes with the image of Emma Watson as Belle reaching out for the rose, and the introduction to viewers of ‘Be Our Guest’, and a definite date for every Disney and film-lover out there: 17.3.17.

Cathy Cooper

Click here for more Trailer Watch

Get in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Image sourced from ‘Beauty and the Beast’, Walt Disney Studios