Ultimate Frisbee show their class in Varsity victory

The University of Nottingham (UoN) Ultimate Frisbee Club defeated the Nottingham Trent University (NTU) Ultimate Frisbee Club 17-7, in a fiercely contested affair at the Lee Westwood Sport Centre.

With three events happening simultaneously, UoN knew that victories in the squash, women’s lacrosse and the ultimate frisbee would give them their 6th point of the 2016 Varsity Series.

NTU were the side who started the brighter, however. UoN held the frisbee after the start, yet it was stolen by NTU, who brought up their first point of the game with a quick pass into the UoN end-zone.

UoN hit back quickly in a fast-paced and frenetic game, with the team trading points in the first quarter and neither side able to pull out a lead, with the score level at 4-4 at the end of the first quarter.

UoN began to show their skill in the second quarter, however, with four second-quarter scores left unanswered by Trent, allowing UoN to pull away by half-time.

Trent never looked like really troubling UoN during the second half, with the UoN team keeping their score ticking over with regular scoring and stout defending, as the third quarter ended with the score at 12-5.

A huge collision between two players was the biggest talking-point of the final quarter, as he rolled his ankle contesting for the frisbee, but UoN grabbed five more points to end the game 17-7, and take the point in the final ever Ultimate Frisbee Varsity event.

Words by Connor Higgs

Image: IMPACT Images Team

Follow @ImpactVarsity16 for more updates on the 2016 Varsity Series.

SportVarsity