Arts Reviews

The Sound of Music @ Theatre Royal

Familiar yet innovative, Bill Kenwright’s production of The Sound of Music provides a fresh take on the timeless classic. The play is engaging and capitalizes on the nostalgia of the story with great charisma. The music is the best compliment to the marvelous efforts of the actors with an astounding performance by the orchestra. The Sound of Music provides a perfect evening to awaken your inner child.

The story is set in 1930’s Salzburg, just around the Nazi occupation of Austria. The delightful protagonist Maria, played by Lucy O’Byrne is a postulant at the Nonnberg Abbey. The kind Mother Abbess, played by Jan Hartley recognizes her condition and sends her out to the world as a governess to the Von Trapp family.

Maria becomes a close confidante of the Von Trapp children who suffer a lonely childhood due to the absence of their grieving widower father, the Captain Von Trapp played by Andrew Lancel. The Captain is to be married to the businesswoman Elsa Schräder (Lucy Van Gasse), who is accompanied by the cultural worker Max Detweiler (Howard Samuels) on her trip to the Von Trapp residence.

Maria and the Captain fall in love, and, returning from their honeymoon, the Captain is ordered to report to his new base under Nazi command. The family then goes on to perform at the Kaltzberg Festival. Unable to accept the separation, the family devises an escape route with the help of the Mother Abbess and safely escapes to Switzerland.

”The ergonomically designed set blends in perfectly with the scenes resulting in one of the smoothest transitions to grace the stage’’

The production is extraordinary, with a careful introduction of pre-recorded scenes played on projection screens, which creates a complex layer of superimposed image. These images, combined with the architectural splendour of Theatre Royal, created a realistic atmosphere, which was complimentary to the play.

The ergonomically designed set blends in perfectly with the scenes resulting in one of the smoothest transitions to grace the stage. This combined with the amazing orchestra makes for a splendid theatrical indulgence.

”The Von Trapp children add a dash of innocence and joie de vivre, making the production relatable to all demographics’’

Lucy O’Byrne, the runner up in The Voice UK 2015 shines as the lovable Maria, complimented by the stellar performances of the remaining cast. The audience is treated to classic songs such as “My Favourite Things”, “Edelweiss” and the eponymous “Sound of Music”, performed beautifully by the exceptional cast.

The Von Trapp children add a dash of innocence and joie de vivre, making the production relateable to all demographics.

”a brilliant performance, a must-watch!’’

The moving plot lines combined with hints of comedy, and faultless singing brought the classic 1960’s American musical drama effortlessly to stage; a brilliant performance, a must-watch!

10/10

Neelam Rajput and Sanchari Banerjee

Image courtesy of the Theatre Royal

‘The Sound Of Music’’ is running at the Theatre Royal, Nottingham until Saturday 24th September. For more information and to book tickets, see here.

For more theatre reviews, follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter.

Arts ReviewsReviews