BUCS

A (green and) golden 2016 for UoN Sport

As we embark on a new term at the University of Nottingham, it gives us an opportunity to reflect upon another golden year of sporting success for the Green and Gold.

2016 saw the University retain the Nottingham Varsity Series for the fifth year in a row and attain a record highest position in the BUCS rankings.

The Inter-Mural Sport and Engage programmes have also been part of the stupendous success, not to mention the growing Welfare in Sport initiative and the progress of elite teams at UoN – all of which has propelled participation and competitive sport at the university to another level.

The undoubted outstanding highlight of UoN Sport’s terrific 2016 was the victory over inter-city rivals Nottingham Trent University in the Nottingham Varsity Series back in April and May.

Thousands of students descended upon the Motorpoint Arena, Lady Bay Stadium, Meadow Lane, Highfields and the universities’ campuses to watch previous SU Sports Officer James Bramley’s teams triumph over the Trent Army.

“The series represented a glimpse of the endeavour and momentum that UoN Sport had been building throughout the 2015/2016 season”

The biggest university Ice Hockey match outside North America drew in a 7,000+ crowd and whilst UoN were defeated 9-5 in that game and narrowly lost the Football and Men’s Basketball, it was in other sports where the Green and Gold found their glory.

A 19-7 victory in the American Football, the first UoNAF win against Trent in the history of the series, 7-0 and 3-2 wins in Hockey at Beeston Hockey Club and the penalty shootout after a 6-6 draw in the Men’s Futsal at Jubilee Campus which clinched the series with a 13-8 win were moments of magic for UoN players and students respectively.

26466805394_309a0fab3d_c

UoN’s Men’s Futsal team jubilant after their Varsity triumph on penalties in May 2016

The series represented a glimpse of the endeavour and momentum that UoN Sport had been building throughout the 2015/2016 season in the BUCS leagues (British Universities and Colleges Sport).

The campaign finished with UoN achieving a record 4th position in BUCS.  They accumulated a 3553.5 points tally, dominating across many individual and team disciplines throughout the year.

Success from the previous season has continued into the 2016/17 campaign, with the Green and Gold currently in third position after topping the BUCS rankings for two weeks at the start of the academic term.

New this year, the £40m David Ross Sports Village has significantly enhanced our BUCS teams with the world class purpose-built facilities.

“With over 3200 students playing IMS (Inter-Mural Sport) at UoN also, both participation and competitive sport stands in a good stead for 2017”

It has helped put the University of Nottingham on the map for elite sport also with our National Badminton League and Futsal Super League squads being just two of the many elite teams able to use the facilities for training and matches.

With over 3200 students playing IMS (Inter-Mural Sport) at UoN also, both participation and competitive sport stand in a good stead for 2017.

Can the Green and Gold retain Varsity for a sixth year running? Can UoN finish in third or above in BUCS? We will eagerly await the answers to these questions over the next two terms …

Joe Tanner

Video courtesy of youtube.com

Image courtesy University of Nottingham Sport of via flickr.com

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter and Like Impact Sport on Facebook.

BUCSNottinghamSport