BUCS

10 medals in Conference Cup as Green and Gold continue outstanding BUCS form

It was another fantastic round of BUCS Wednesday fixtures for the University of Nottingham this week, with the Green and Gold winning 27 out of 42 games to give them a 64% win ratio for the week.

The victories this week have seen the University of Nottingham further cement their position in third place in British University and College Sport (BUCS) rankings overall and have seen them close the gap on second place team Durham to 122 points, giving Nottingham the potential to make second place behind leaders Loughborough should they continue their outstanding form as we approach the latter stages of the campaign.

It was a week that saw several cup finals in BUCS as well as various leagues being won by teams who now hold too great a leads over trailing packs to be caught. Many of our teams headed to Loughborough this week for the season finals of this year’s British Universities and Colleges Sports (BUCS) Conference Cup.

The Green and Gold certainly did not come away empty-handed in those matches in the East Midlands. There was an all University of Nottingham final as the Men’s seconds beat the Men’s fourths, making gold and silver for UoN whilst in Women’s tennis, the second team were victorious away against Coventry’s firsts but the women’s fourths lost their final to Loughborough’s firsts.

“Overall, the University of Nottingham achieved a very impressive haul of five gold medals and five silver medals from last Wednesday’s play.”

There was also gold in fencing for the Women’s seconds who beat Oxford Brookes firsts and gold too for women’s lacrosse second team in their final against Birmingham third team.

Both the Women’s badminton third team and Men’s water polo second team were unfortunate to lose both of their finals to teams from Nottingham Trent, their Women’s badminton firsts and their Men’s water polo first teams respectively.

“The Green and Gold won 27 out of 42 games to give them a 64% win ratio for the week.”

Squash saw wins across the board with the Men’s second team and Women’s third team winning gold in their finals against Loughborough thirds and Northampton firsts respectively whilst the Men’s first team, Women’s first team and Women’s seconds were all successful in their cup matches and progress forward in their respective competitions.

Overall, the University of Nottingham achieved a very impressive haul of five gold medals and five silver medals from last Wednesday’s play.

“There was also defeat for Trent’s men’s hockey first team against the Green and Gold who won 4-2, ensuring a strong finish to a table topping season for them.”

Outside of cup finals, there were also numerous wins across the board for the Green and Gold teams. Badminton saw several wins, most notable for the women’s first team who have now won their league by three points ahead of Loughborough’s first team.

In football, the women’s first secured a league win by defeating Lincoln’s first team 7-1 whilst the men’s 4th overwhelmed Trent’s fifth team 9-0. There was also defeat for Trent’s men’s hockey first team against the Green and Gold who won 4-2, ensuring a strong finish to a table-topping season for them.

The men’s second and third team played each other in a game where the second team won and ensured they would win their league this year with a game to spare, whilst the third team came in second.

In rugby league, the men’s first team carried their unbeaten league form going into the cup, beating Liverpool John Moores in a close game a proceeding to the Big BUCS Wednesday in held in Bath next weekend (21-22 March).

“UoN Korfball seconds made it 3 wins in 3 years with their BUCS Gold Trophy triumph in Cardiff.”

For UoN Table Tennis there was a 10-7 home victory for the men’s seconds against Derby’s first team, while for the women there were two cup victories one for the seconds against Newcastle firsts (4-1) and there was a silver medal for the women’s thirds after a dramatic 3-2 defeat to Loughborough’s firsts on their home turf.

Meanwhile, in rugby union, the men’s second team triumphed over Trent’s second team and the women’s first team beat Loughborough’s second team comprehensively 41-5.

In the weekend’s action, UoNAF were unfortunate to head out at the quarter-final stage of their playoff competition with an agonising 28-27 defeat to Leeds Beckett. UoN Korfball seconds also made it 3 wins in 3 years with their BUCS Gold Trophy triumph in Cardiff.

As the BUCS season now enters its final games, the teams from the University of Nottingham can look back a very successful season and with most teams in good form approaching Varsity 2017, things are looking very promising for the University of Nottingham’s chances for the remainder of this season.

Keep up to date with all of the University of Nottingham’s results and fixtures in the Performance Sport section of the UoN Sport website.

Jeremy Dunn

Image courtesy of University of Nottingham Sport

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter and Like Impact Sport on Facebook

BUCSNottinghamSport