Some Egg-citing Alternatives This Easter

As Easter slowly creeps up on us, I think it’s safe to say that everyone has chocolate on the brain (thanks Tesco with your annoyingly tempting and reasonably priced £1.50 Easter eggs).

If the idea of eating another chocolate Easter egg makes you sigh with resignation instead of filling you with enthusiasm, then perhaps it is time you got adventurous and tried some of these weird and wonderful concoctions…

Pashka, Russia

This Easter pudding enjoyed in Russia is likened to a cheesecake with more of a custard spin on it, made from curd cheese, honey, dried fruit and almonds. It is shaped as a truncated pyramid, apparently to represent the tomb of Christ (yummy).

Tsoureki, Greece

This brioche-like bread is made with gum mastic powder and mahlab (sounds delicious already amirite), with red-dyed hardboiled eggs poked in (and you thought it couldn’t get any better). FYI, gum mastic powder is made from the resin of a mastic tree and mahlab is a spice made from cherry stones.

Mämmi, Finland

This dessert is made from water, rye flour, powdered malted rye, Seville orange zest and salt, and is often eaten with cream and sugar. This particular dish is super simple to make, it only includes some time slaving over a hot stove, a complicated process of letting it sit and develop its sweetness naturally, around 3 hours in an oven and leaving it at least overnight in your fridge before you can eat it. #worthit

Capirotada, Mexico

We’ve obviously been asking ourselves this question for years: what would make bread and butter pudding even better than it already is? Well the answer is obviously to add some old cheese and a layer of meat. I’ll have two portions, please.

It’s clear that there are many unusual Easter culinary delights out there and in all honesty, I would happily try any of these – much more exciting than a Cadbury’s Creme Egg (although I’ll have that too thanks). Perhaps this year when your mum asks you which Easter egg you’d like, you ought to reply ‘I’d just like some Mämmi please dear mother,’ and we can guarantee she’ll love you for it (maybe not).

Ruth Pengelly

Featured image by Abigail Batchelder, via Flickr, license here.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Facebook page.

FoodLifestyle