Clean sweep for UoN in Varsity Dodgeball

Three solid performances saw The University of Nottingham claim victory in the 2017 Varsity Dodgeball and add to their tally of victories on what has been another dominant Super Wednesday with the overall score at 8-2.

Ladies A-Team Captain Kathryn Thomas and committee Vice President Marc Megginson both went in to the contest in confident mood with the men’s team being University champions and the Women consistently placing in the top three. Nevertheless, they were quick to stress that they expected a high quality of Dodgeball with Trent winning the University cup last year.

The stage was set at the Lee Westwood Sports Centre with both teams accompanied by a small but noisy group of supporters, perhaps not surprising given the time of the day and that exams are just around the corner. But those in attendance were treated to an intense session of Dodgeball.

Perhaps surprisingly, UoN thrashed Trent 14-0 in the Women’s event, taking control from the start with an early lead in the first set and never looking back from that. This perhaps affected the confidence of the Trent women who joined forces with the men for the mixed event.

“Ultimately UoN just had too much skill, displaying fantastic athleticism with some great dodges”

https://twitter.com/ImpactVarsity17/status/862278052272906240

This was a much closer affair with Trent staying in touch until the latter sets when UoN started to pull away. The closing stages saw a single Trent player left with the impossible task of taking on six UoN players, although to her credit she didn’t back down and gave it a good go. This summed up the fighting spirit that was on display throughout the day.

The men’s game wrapped up proceedings, with UoN claiming a comfortable 10-4 victory, despite the best efforts of Trent who pushed them all the way. But ultimately UoN just had too much skill, displaying fantastic athleticism with some great dodges that wouldn’t have looked out of place on the Trampolines next door.

Overall, it was three very professional performances from the Green and Gold who deservedly won all three matches without too much trouble. The game plans were well executed with the UoN formations working a treat and it would be foolish to bet against them replicating their success next year.

Tyler Gerrard

Image courtesy of Impact Varsity 2017 on Twitter

Follow @ImpactVarsity17 on Twitter and Like Impact Sport on Facebook. Also check out www.impactnottingham.com/section/sport/ for all of the  previews, match reports and reviews from the Nottingham Varsity Series 2017.

SportVarsity