Age is just a number for fresh-faced Parisian Dani Alves

Poor domestic and European form has asked a lot of questions of the wealthy French outfit in 2016/17, with PSG losing out on the Ligue 1 title for the first time in four seasons. It was inevitable that big names would be targeted in the aftermath of this anti-climactic campaign, and Dani Alves represents their most high profile capture yet.

Winning everything in Italy with Juventus might have been the trigger for a new challenge in Ligue 1, and with realistic hopes of winning more titles coupled with a lucrative contract, it’s no surprise that the Brazilian has ended up playing his football for the Parisian giants.

At the beginning of his career, Alves was a rising star at Sevilla and would go on to be snapped up by Barcelona in 2008. He plied his trade for 8 years with the Blaugrana winning a whole host of domestic La Liga, Copa Del Rey and Spanish Super Cup titles, as well as three Champions League trophies.

Ao contrário do que todos possam pensar ou dizer, hoje para mim é um dia muito especial…. dia de encontrar pessoas que gosto muito e que vivir momentos inesquecíveis. Dia de reencontrar mi banda sudaca que tanto disfrutamos, dia de encontrar pessoas honesta que amam o que fazem, dia de encontrar pessoas que de repente não pode ter uma grande afinidade porém que tem meu respeito, de repente por culpa mia sei lá rs😂. Apesar de tudo que se falou ou que se interpretou eu só quero o bem de todos e só quis ajudar a que a Juventus fosse um clube do tamanho das suas expectativas e do tamanho dos sentimentos das pessoas que torcem para esse clube… hoje é um dia de agradecimentos pela oportunidade de ter formado parte desse clube mesmo que pelo curto período de tempo, tenho certeza que sentem minha falta, nenhum lugar é a mesma coisa depois da passagem do GOOD CRAZY, pode ser melhor ou pior mas igual é impossível! 🤣🤙🏾 SEMPRE ACTIVO PANITAS 😂 TAMO ACTIVO

A post shared by DanialvesD2 My Twitter (@danialves) on

With this multitude of accolades to his name, it’s no surprise that Alves became a household name in the football world, in addition to being considered one best fullbacks in the world. However, fallouts with the higher echelons at the Camp Nou would mean that Alves would leave the Spanish club for Italian giants Juventus, whom he would join in 2016.

Despite his age, the Brazilian fullback has retained not only his hunger, but also his fitness and ability to compete at the top of the game, securing four assists and three goals in the Champions League last season for the Old Lady; an amazing achievement considering his fullback position.

Alves would go on to comfortably win the Scudetto and Copa Italia securing a domestic double with the Bianconeri in only his first season. Unfortunately, the Champions League final would prove to be a low point for Alves, with Allegri’s side being crushed 4-1 at the hands of Real Madrid.

PSG on the other hand will know all about devastating defeats in the Champions League, remarkably losing 6-1 to Alves’s old club Barcelona at the last 16 stage, crashing out of the competition 6-5 on aggregate. Defensive frailties are obviously a big issue for the Paris outfit, and so bringing in a player with the defensive experience and ability of Alves will work wonders for the backline.

The Brazilian is known to be somewhat of a jack of all trades, providing defensive solidity as well bombing up the field to provide assists and at times score goals. There is no doubt that PSG’s attacking line of Di Maria, Draxler, Lucas and Cavani will be sufficiently embellished by Alves’s attacking support.

Contributing to all areas of the team Alves has proven indispensable to any side he has played for, which begs the question as to why both Barcelona and Juventus let him go so easily. His age has probably played a big role in this, but as he has shown time and time again, age is just a number when it comes to the experienced fullback. It seems unlike PSG to deal in free transfers, but bringing a character like Dani Alves to the Parc des Princes for no cost at all will enrich the team no end.

Tito Domenico Simonelli

Featured image courtesy of ‘Philippe Agnifili’ via Flickr. License here.

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter or like the Impact Sport Facebook page for more updates and information on how to get involved.