It’s all about the music: Detonate and Basslaced

Drum & Bass and Dubstep are big at the moment, right? Well then, the Nottingham scene shouldn’t disappoint. Detonate and Basslaced are promoters who run regular nights serving up heavy beats and getting some of the biggest names to play live DJ sets. Basslaced, the promotions company who only had their first birthday back in May, focus on the Dubstep side of things whilst Detonate, who are in their 11th year, concentrate on bringing you Drum & Bass and Dubstep with a smattering of hip hop for good measure.

In fact, Detonate has established itself as one of the biggest and longest running nights in the whole of the UK. Testament to this is the recent nomination from BBC 1Xtra for ‘Best Club Night’. Indeed, this is no mean feat. Set up to fill the gap in the market, Detonate events are always busy and its regular night is held the last Friday of every month at Stealth. A prime example of just how popular their events are is the Detonate Indoor Festival, held across Rock City, Stealth and Rescue Rooms on the May Bank Holiday weekend, pulling in a sell-out crowd of 4,500. It’s not surprising considering that the likes of Chase & Status, High Contrast, Skream, Benga, Rusko plus many more graced the DJ boxes across the 3 Nottingham venues.

If the sound of all of this has whet your appetite, here are some of the events Detonate will be running during the beginning of the autumn semester: Detonate at Stealth Friday 25th September, Detonate Hospitality 16th October and Ram Records ft. Chase & Status live 30th October. If you want to buy tickets online or get any more information check out www.detonate1.co.uk.

All this Detonate business sounds impressive but Basslaced is just as good. Every first Saturday of the month at The Bodega Social Club, Basslaced host a quality selection of Dubstep acts and DJs. Based on an ethos of decent DJs and music played on a decent sound system, this is one night that is all about the music. To get an impression of the gravitas Basslaced have, they recently hosted Skream, Benga and Caspa as headliners on their stage at the Detonate Indoor Festival back in May. The next Basslaced event is on October 3rd and all their details can be found on Facebook.

Katie Cook