Albums

Albums of the Month: June

These are the albums that we recommend for June, as always we have made a Spotify Playlist, and you can go to the artists spotify page by clicking on the image art. We are also providing links to Deezer, We7 and Grooveshark which are free alternative music streaming sites, the benefits are you do not need to register or download a program to listen to the music.

Emeralds - Does It Look Like Im Here?

Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here?

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark
This debut brings to mind the classic Fennesz’s mercurial Endless Summer. It’s less a parallel of style than of atmosphere and execution, as both albums work brief snippets of almost-pop into monumental mood pieces that dwell on the tiniest of details. It switches back and forth between curtains of wistful skygaze and thick, propulsive blasts of kosmische psychedelia. The tightly entangled structure is never aimless and never lacking in emotional punch. – DrownedinSound

Wild Nothing - Gemini

Wild Nothing - Gemini

Grooveshark
Gemini finds Tatum constructing a striking, solitary monument to just about anyone who moped, sulked, or bedsat their way through the 1980s. His love of dreamy, fuzzy, handcrafted guitar-pop isn’t far removed from the Radio Dept. or the Pains of Being Pure at Heart, but he displays a more comprehensive and widespread commitment to classic indie pop sounds. His delivery is more romantic than dreary, and there’s a sly, understated, and subtly addictive melody that gorgeously frames his sentiments, and captures a lot of what is exciting about underground music’s current classic indie-pop fixation. – Pitchfork

Teenage Fanclub - Shadows

Teenage Fanclub - Shadows

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark
After 20 years and 10 albums, here comes another dazzling resurgence, while its quality would never have been in doubt to the already converted, it equally suggests Teenage Fanclub to be in a vigorous prime, even though there’s a sensitive vein of maturity running through the record from start to finish. Their simple yet effective melodies coupled with sumptuous vocal harmonies, while lyrically scaling a fine line between happy-go-lucky romanticism and solemn melancholy is a surprise contender as one of 2010’s finest. – DrownedinSound

Robyn - Body Talk Pt. 1

Robyn - Body Talk Pt. 1

Grooveshark

The first of a potential three new albums tentatively scheduled for 2010, Robyn has immaculately produced, fantastically sung, and loaded this with memorable choruses, this eight-song effort has plenty to please everyone from post-dubstep crate diggers to teen tweeters. Like most of Robyn’s best tracks, though, from 1996’s “Show Me Love” to “With Every Heartbeat” a decade later, is capable of not only appealing to many different people, but also touching them emotionally. – Pitchfork

Tame Impala - Innerspeaker

Tame Impala - Innerspeaker

Grooveshark

These Australians have crafted an assured and accomplished album that integrates an array of psych rock references into a powerful whole. There are patches of late-60s American psychedelia, buzzy Motor City riffage, and decades of British pop, ranging from the pastoral pop of the Kinks to the vivid expansiveness of the Verve to the narcotic warmth of the Stone Roses. But each component is set on an even plane, allowing bass lines and delay-swept guitar bursts to melt into one another, cultivating a uniform feel that’s vintage, far-out, and irrepressibly cool. – Pitchfork

Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid

Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid

Grooveshark

The ArchAndroid is a fully immersive, theatrical experience. It’s a near-perfect R&B album; hell, it’s a fantastic hip-hop, psychedelic, neo-soul, dance and orchestral album too. The 18-track epic brings stunning and sophisticated tunes spanning styles, speeds and sentiments, all tied together by a smorgasbord of artistic personalities. Monáe may be an alien or an android, but if this is just the beginning, she may wind up a legend. – Popmatters

Male Bonding - Nothing Hurts

Male Bonding - Nothing Hurts

Grooveshark

In four minutes of this record there are two tracks that together have more melodies, more moments of joy, than most bands will manage this year. Rattling between fizzing bursts of riffs and croons of vocals, ‘Nothing Remains’ surfs along on backing vocal ooo’s and chaotic guitar lines, one of the band’s rules is “I like it – shall we try it a little faster?” Why waste time?. It is also full of songs that have distilled / evaporated / filtered all the unnecessary, leaving the best and the great. – DrownedinSound

Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

Grooveshark

Flying Lotus, much like Yorke, Greenwood & Co., has made a definitive summary of a decade’s worth of advances in electronic music, a release that transcends genre and deserves to become a glorified phenomena by those who experience it. – Popmatters

Dum Dum Girls - I Will Be

Dum Dum Girls - I Will Be

Grooveshark

The Morning Benders - Big Echo

The Morning Benders - Big Echo

Gonjasufi - A Sufi and a Killer

Gonjasufi - A Sufi and a Killer

Lone Wolf - The Devil And I

Lone Wolf - The Devil And I

We7

Ratatat - LP4

Ratatat - LP4

We7 | Grooveshark

Ariel Pinks Haunted Graffiti - Before Today

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

The Drums - The Drums

The Drums - The Drums

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

Johnny Flynn - Been Listening

Johnny Flynn - Been Listening

We7 | Grooveshark

Junip - Rope and Summit EP

Junip - Rope and Summit EP

We7 | Grooveshark

Roky Erickson with Okkervil River - True Love Cast Out All Evil

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

Thomas Truax - Sonic Dreamer

Thomas Truax - Sonic Dreamer

AlbumsMusic