Music

Impact’s Guide to the Best European Festivals

Have a look at what European festivals our contributors recommend you venture to this summer.

EXIT

Where? Novi Sad, Serbia

When? 7th-10th July

Who? 2011’s line-up boasts huge acts like Arcade Fire, Pulp, Portishead, Grinderman and Beirut as well as a host of domestic acts to check out.

Why? Set in a beautiful citadel overlooking the Danube, EXIT have the best location bar Benicassim. With tickets a bargain at £89 right now (to go up to £105), its the perfect opportunity to see some great music, explore the fascinating Balkans and celebrate life as the sun sets over the greatest river in Europe.

HURRICANE/SOUTHSIDE

Where? Bremen/Bodensee, Germany

When? 17th– 19th June

Who? Foo Fighters, Blink 182, Arcade Fire, My Chemical Romance, Bright Eyes, Jimmy Eat World, Lykke Li, Eels, Band Of Horses, Klaxons, Elbow, Suede.

Why? You can see the kind of bands you’d expect to see at Reading & Leeds without being surrounded by teenagers.

MELT!

Where? Gräfenhainichen, Germany

When? 15th-17th July

Who? Crystal Castles, Cut Copy, The Streets, Robyn, Pulp, Digitalism, Metronomy, The Drums, White Lies, Rusko, Jamie Woon, Crystal Fighters, Gold Panda, Les Savy Fav

Why? Takes place in an openair museum called Ferropolis (City Of Iron) and is thus surrounded by old huge industrial machines giving the festival a unique atmosphere.

BENICÀSSIM

Where? Benicàssim, Spain

When? 14th – 17th July

Who? Arcade Fire, Jack Beats,Friendly Fires, Elbow, Beirut, The Strokes, Portishead, The Go! Team, Arctic Monkeys, Mumford & Sons, Tame Impala, Tinie Tempah

Why? Because of the scorching weather, bands begin around 5pm and go right through to sunrise, allowing you to catch some rays before you catch Primal Sc-ray-m (sorry).

SUPER BOCK SUPER ROCK

Where? Meco, Portugal

When? 14th-16th July

Who? Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, The Strokes (no less) with more acts to be confirmed.

Why? Forget the Algarve and Val De Lobo, SBSR will be playing host to some of the biggest names in Rock  n’ Roll beneath its clear blue skies. The problem of grotty festival showers is solved by the nearby beach which provides some of the best surf in Portugal, another reason to extend your stay beyond the festival dates.

HIDEOUT

Where? Pag, Croatia

When? 1st-3rd July

Who? All the big names in dance music from Annie Mac to Andy C, Chase & Status to Caspa.

Why? A perfect choice for those that want to combine a festival with their inter-railing or summer holiday. If you’ve bad experiences with muddy campsites in the past, then fear not as accommodation at Hideout is strictly apartment and hotel only meaning the party atmosphere continues long after the festival finishes.

SZIGET  

Where? Budapest, Hungary

When? 10th-15th August

Who? The Chemical Brothers, The National, The Maccabees, Pulp, Rise Against, Gogol Bordello, Crystal Castles and loads more.

Why? If, like me, you’ve got to work throughout July, Sziget offers a perfect August alternative. Oh, and The National are playing too..’nuf said.

HEINEKEN OPEN’ER

Where? Gdynia, Poland

When? 30th June – 3rd July

Who? Caribou, Pulp, Foals, The National, Simian Mobile Disco, Cut Copy, Big Boi, Two Door Cinema Club

Why? Taking place in a disused military airbase, Open’er offers a location rivalled only by the likes of Exit and Beni. Probably one of the cheapest festivals you’ll find too.

SONAR

Where? Barcelona, Spain

When? 16th June – 18th June

Who?  Aphex Twin, James Murphy, Boys Noize, Four Tet, A-Track, James Holden, Yelle, Nicolas Jaar, Paul Kalkbrenner and loads more!

Why? If like me, you’re still in a state of mourning after LCD’s split, then the fact that Sonar plays host to one of James Murphy’s only outings this summer should be enough to convince you to go to this festival. Not only this, but man of the moment, Nicolas Jaar is also going to be putting in a rare summer appearnce there. Oh, and Sonar takes place in the coolest city EVER.

With thanks to Dan Adams, Jake Batty, Rosie Kynman, James Smyllie and Gabriel Szatan for helping compile this guide.

Music
  • Tom Clements
    13 April 2011 at 17:08