Features & News

It All Ends… On Friday

This weekend will mark the end of one of Britain’s most beloved franchises: Harry Potter. While the seven written instalments have consecutively set records as the fastest-selling books in history, arguably the films have been even more successful. Individually, the last three movies have all surpassed a worldwide box office total of $900 million, though none have yet reached the elusive $1b mark, a list made up of a mere eight members (can you name them?). Perhaps The Deathly Hallows Part 2 will be the first to reach that prestigious sum… However, as a film franchise Potter is definitively the most prosperous of all time, battering both James Bond and Star Wars into second and third place respectively.

The series’ legions of fans will be brimming with excitement for the final instalment, which goes on general release this Friday. Though, for all the Potterholics amongst us who desperately need to get that last fix as soon as humanly possible, many cinemas throughout the UK will be doing special midnight screenings to mark the occasion. These, taking place at around 00.05 in most Odeons, Cineworlds etc. will allow you to properly get your geek out for one last wizardy time. Dressing up, while not compulsory, will be largely expected in most venues, so get those Griffindor robes and Quidditch brooms at the ready and prepare for a final flourish of muggle-fun.

Thankfully, for us Nottingham residents,  there is an alternative to the humdrum atmosphere of the ghastly and thoroughly avoidable multiplex. Broadway Cinema, located on Broad Street in Hockley (right in the centre of town), is holding its own midnight showing, complete with free goodie bags! That’s right, goodie bags, if that’s not enough reason to avoid the horror of the mainstream auditorium then I don’t know what is! The Impact Film team reckons that our friends at Broadway offer the best cinema experience in Nottingham, so if you’ve got to get your last Harry Potter fill, it might as well be there. Did I mention you get a free goodie bag?

So, come and join us at Broadway next Thursday for what will hopefully be a thrill-a-minute, spell-a-minute, horcrux-a-minute rollercoaster ride. The butterbeer will be flowing and the chat will be entirely made up of Potterlore. Please note, all Hufflepuffs will need to be accompanied by an appropriate adult. Let’s just hope there’s not anymore of that horrendously awkward dancing! (Click here to be reminded)

Look out for Impact’s review this weekend!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is released nationwide this Friday. To book tickets for Broadway’s special midnight screening, click here.

Features & NewsFilm & TV

Tom is a budding film reviewer, hell bent on providing informed opinions on the latest movie releases to those who need them, whether they like it or not.

• hmm…
    11 July 2011 at 22:08