Style

LFW: Christopher Kane

Known as an emotion evoking designer, once again Christopher Kane has people literally on edge. Vogue Fashion Editor Fran Burn’s excellently summarised the common reaction to his work in her comment; “I just Tweeted the most emotional tweet ever – I actually get anxiety at this show between each look. I feel sick with excitement as it’s something so different and he teaches you new ways to see things – this time it was a bit of Goth, a bit of punk, but it’s always beautifully, elegantly refined and an absolute joy – I loved it.”

The Scottish designer has a gift when it comes to telling a story through his designs, which are always unique and eye capturing – his eagerly awaited runway on the fourth day of London Fashion Week was no exception to this. The show was forty minutes late to start; just enough time to further escalate the anticipation and excitement of what was to come. The audience were seated on purple carpet benches, the perfect furniture to match the many shades of purple, red and black which were shortly to appear before them.

The show began with black leather jackets in stiff new shapes and fur jackets in vertical black and white stripes which ran down to silk trousers beneath. Next appeared black and blue animal print jackets and dresses, cinched with leather at the waist and neck, and completed with cut out panels on the midriff. Purple chiffon dresses followed, with short sleeves and black velvet appliqué flowers accompanied by more structured jackets or tube skirts, all in shades of subtle purple animal print; the models were the epitome of cool chic. Furthermore, puffa jackets and mohair sweaters in pillar box red and black created a glamorous yet edgy display.

For the finale Kane presented the audience with amazing beaded dresses in shades of purple, red and one stand-out-from-the-crowd number in white. The knee length dresses were teamed with matching beaded bags, and leather shoes or ankle boots for the signature rock effect. Kane truly encapsulates tough femininity in his designs, a recognisable feature throughout all of his collections.

Kane’s tough femininity didn’t just end with the clothes, instead the look was transcended into hair and makeup too. Makeup was pretty and nude, teamed with strong eyebrows, and hair was glossy and slicked yet grungy.

In a spectacular plethora of colour, shape and texture, Kane has cleverly combined edgy, cool elements with subtle femininity to create a powerful yet fun collection, strong enough to capture the senses of anyone who experiences it.

Hannah Donald

Style