Style

LFW: Marios Schwab

Day three of London Fashion Week saw Marios Schwab, the Greco-Austrian designer, deliver an unforgettably beautiful show. His luxurious collection embodied seduction and ladylike sophistication through a combination of sparkling metallics, sheer flowing dresses, and hard silhouettes.

Schwab’s career highlights to date include winning the Best New Designer award in 2006, and the Swiss Textiles Award in 2007. Schwab is known for showcasing the inspiration for his designs in signature, key-piece dresses; and his A/W ’12 show was no exception to this. Schwab’s inspiration behind his current collection stems from “Eau de nil, The Portrait of a Lady and Symphony No. 5 in C sharp minor by Gustav Mahler.”. The year 2012 is set to be an exciting one for the contemporary designer who is also launching a new ready to wear line in September.

Faces half hidden behind 40s style felt hats, demure figures presented with nipped in waists and mostly knee length dresses; the lady that Marios Schwab created is classic, quiet, and considered. Schwab opened the runway with more tailored pieces, including linear lines and chic leather gloves.

Sheer panels and simple decoration in the second half of the show ramped up the minimalistic glamour. Schwab played with texture using transparency, lace bodices and sequins which equated in a 1940s sense of sophistication and elegance, a favourite decade of style for Schwab.

The show’s finale was an amazing floor length, seductive, figure hugging dress, which simply oozed with glamour and sophistication – a favourite piece of mine from the week so far (and many other’s I’m sure). The dress was covered in Swarovski crystals with a gem trimmed collar.

Schwab has created a collection stemming from the juxtaposition of elegant, ladylike shapes in conjunction with his signature seductive style through using a range of different textured materials; creating a beautiful, captivating, statement show.

Hannah Donald

Style