Style

LFW: Stella McCartney

Mystery and secrecy surrounded Stella McCartney’s eagerly awaited return to London Fashion Week and rumours were rife beforehand of a sportswear-inspired show to coincide with her current project of designing Team GB’s Olympic kit. Instead, McCartney hosted an intimate dinner at a church in Mayfair where the 140 guests, included Rihanna, Kate Moss, Anna Wintour, Mario Testino and Alexa Chung. The night began in a relatively tame fashion, with guests arriving in cocktail dresses and black tie, sipping champagne whilst the band played Jazz music.

However, the evening’s impending surrealism became clearer when Alexa Chung was summoned to the stage by Dutch Magician, Hans Klok, who proceeded to hypnotise and levitate her on three swords. And rather than Stella McCartney present her capsule eveningwear collection in the traditional runway format, McCartney worked with choreographer, Blanca Li to create a show-stopping and theatrical dance performance. Much to the astonishment of the other guests, the models (who were predominantly professional dancers) jumped from their seats to perform a flash mob inspired routine and danced emphatically to Led Zeppelin. Although, the highlight of the evening was undoubtedly supermodels Yasmin Le Bon, Shalom Harlow and Amber Valletta joining midway to walk along chairs and dance on tables, which aroused cheers and applause from the crowd.

Watch Stella McCartney’s presentation courtesy of Derek Blasberg

The release for the collection detailed how it would encapsulate ‘eveningwear with ease, masculine and feminine; glamour and hope’, and it most certainly did not disappoint. Bright marble swirls, cobalt lace and peplum skirts, alongside striking optical allusion dresses; which are quickly becoming one of Stella McCartney’s trademarks. Bold colour, tuxedo inspired dresses and red carpet worthy column dresses were also prominent features of the collection. While The Telegraph’s fashion editor Hilary Alexander tweeted of the ‘fashion overload Stella McCartney! Models in gorgeous water-prints, lace, colours, peplums, 1950’s band! Fashion heaven in a church’. Guests such as Rihanna turned heads in a floor length Armani emerald dress paired with gold accessories, and Kate Moss looked effortlessly chic in a Stella McCartney curve-enhancing mini dress.

The capsule collection is thought to be somewhat of a prelude to the main collection, which will be shown in Paris in a fortnights time, but also a one-off celebration of “everything that is bold and irreverent about being a British brand”, as McCartney told Reuters, regarding her inspiration for the presentation and return to London Fashion Week.

Stay tuned to see how her collection goes down in Paris.

Emily Tarbuck

Style