Lead articles

LFW: Holly Fulton

A nod to the 1960’s with lashings of vinyl and roses saw the Holly Fulton collection unfold in several shades of sugary goodness. Although Americana had been toned down throughout designers so far, Fulton sought to put a new spin on the trend with a time period laced in-between keeping a playful and innocent quality to the designs. Fulton’s designs are known for being quirky and outrageous, something we would style very carefully and feel a little out of place when wearing. This collection changes everything.

In true haute casual style, this was Fulton’s most wearable collection yet. Sweet inspiration was taken from the pretty colour schemes of the 1960’s, with yellow, pink, white and a varying shades of blue proving the most popular. Gingham and checked dresses were made in soft cotton and adorned with a series of different roses in either painted vinyl or embroidered with tiny glass beads. Either scattered across the skirt or attached to the vinyl bodice of the dresses, the mix media pieces were some of the more striking and desirable dresses of the season, suited to Alexandra Shulman admiration for what she called “beautiful pieces of art”. Equally pretty but with a real sense of humour were the pure vinyl dresses, in hot pink with matching blue roses, simply cut and sculpted for the feminine form.

The haute casual trend continued with a luscious combination of optical printed polo-shirts, shorts and skirts. In several shades of blue, roses were printed on the polo shirts, tucked into long pale blue pencil skirts and shorts; chunky plastic beads adding both texture and dimension. Woven throughout were a few sets of swimwear and cropped tops worn with skirts, brightly coloured with candy stripes and small patched of Aztec inspired print. The colours were bold and contrasting oranges and white, popping with the never-end tide of blue. More modest pieces followed with trousers and jackets, in a darker shade of blue with pink silhouettes of women, matching the giant female form printed on optical jackets, with stripes and blocked patterns.

Interestingly, accessories caught the eye in particular, worn as easy separate pieces. A smooth, circular barrel bag was the most distinctive in its diverse colour schemes; swirling patterns of orange and blue. Sunglasses were just as fun, touching back on the 60’s trend with oversized John Lennon inspired frames some silver and some tortoise shell, worn with baby blue stiffened raffia hats, topped off with yellow roses.

It’s no surprise to see Patti McGee as the muse for these pieces. The laid back attitude towards these clothes really emphasis the decoration as the accessories themselves, making this a bold move for Fulton and her usually complex, almost intimidating clothes. This collection is bold, but it’s so incredibly pretty that it leaves very little room for any customisation but in the best way possible. These aren’t clothes you want to change or personalise – the roses and the prints do all the work and you’ll want to leave them and wear them just the way they are.

Rosie Feenstra

Lead articlesStyle