Live Review: Cable 35/Valentiines/Life of Denial, The Chameleon (11/10/2012)

On a rainy Thursday night, a collaboration of three international grunge bands performed a set of heavy tunes to an audience of approximately 30 people in the hidden away from inattentive eyes venue The Chameleon, situated right in Nottingham’s city centre. The complete dedication to the performance, fair ticket price and the tension of an almost unique audience at the gig earned its right to be called a one of a kind night, the one where music was music with no strings attached. First on stage came Nottingham’s local continuers of the ‘Seattle sound’, quartet known as Life of Denial.

The sound was incredible, even though the singing trio practically got lost among the loud instrumental sounds; the living sense of humour and the driving charisma of the band were not missed by the public. The dynamic and almost hypnotizing guitar lines set the best start to the night. The solid, syncopated rhythms of the four musicians made the audience move to the beats, turning everyone into an obedient melodic hardcore organism.

Settled now in the UK, Cable 35 perfectly followed the vibe of Life of Denial and filled the cosy crowd with a truly devoted approach. The ambitious fellas only recently moved all the way from Malta in order to achieve the appreciation and support of UK music lovers. Living in a bungalow somewhere near Bradford, these guys are as serious about their intentions as they are serious about their music. That clearly reflected on the quality of their songs, yelling mid-performance; “We don’t have jobs, we live on our music…”

Still dealing with the difficulties while climbing the steep ladder of their music career they are selling their album Louder that consists of 16 tracks for only 5 quid. The unexpected quantity of the songs and the diversity of each track tended to keep the interest of every listener. The heavy sounds erupted over the audience, not leaving a moment of rest for our ears or feet. The attitude of these guys promises them recognition among the UK’s alternative rock fans and leaves me wishing them the best of luck in the future.

Last but definitely not least on the stage were Australian Valentiine. These three energetic women (it just doesn’t seem right to call them a girl band) are currently touring Europe together with Cable 35 living the life of the rock stars. Valentiine managed to expand and complete the pleasant intensity in the room. With a professional manner they delivered their garage rock to the enthusiastic audience. The high quality vocals were well proportioned with the tough instrumental parts and provided a pleasant touch to the atmosphere of the gig. Giving it all, the lead singer put the end to the night with classic guitar smashing on the stage. One Patron jeered him on saying “Seems like you need a new instrument.” To which the singer retorted “Yeah, man, this is my fourth one!”

Following the traditional trends of the musician’s lifestyle they are not missing out on the actual work. Clearly, when they do the music, they do it properly. Despite the upsettingly low number of the listeners and the decent quality of their tracks, such dedication tells a lot about the performers. The night was indeed a unique experience of cultural contrasts and mutual enthusiasm. No doubt, as long as nights as good as this continue, multiculturalism – grunge or otherwise – has not failed in the UK.

Kateryna Guskova

GigsMusic