Food

Amazing Restaurants From Around the World

Imagine dining in a restaurant under the sea or eating your meal inside a castle made of snow. I set out to find the most unusual restaurant locations from around the world. There were so many spectacular possibilities but here are my personal favourites.

Ithaa Undersea Restaurant

Situated three metres below the Indian ocean in the Maldives, the Ithaa restaurant at the Conrad Hotel on Rangali Island is the world’s first all glass under-sea restaurant. Ithaa means ‘mother of pearl’ in the Maldivian language of Dhivehi. Apparently during the day the restaurant can get so bright that diners need to wear sunglasses and the restaurant offers a sunglasses cleaning service during lunch. The restaurant was built on land in Singapore and then lowered into the ocean in one piece.

Ithaa Undersea Restaurant, photograph courtesy of Conrad Maldives Rangali Island.

Lumi Linna SnowCastle  SnowRestaurant

Wrap up warmly for a visit to the SnowRestaurant in Kemi, Finland. This restaurant is inside a hugely impressive snow castle which is reconstructed  (in a different style) every year in the Lapland region of Finland. This winter the SnowCastle hotel will open in a special ceremony on the 26th January 2013. Last winter the castle had a sports theme and the restaurant was decorated accordingly with sculptures of athletes made from ice and snow. The tables in the restaurant are made from blocks of ice, covered with transparent plexus – so that warm food can be served more easily. The seats are wooden with a reindeer or lambskin covering. For 38 euros the ‘Gulf of Buthnia special’ includes a starter of ‘cream of smoked reindeer soup’, followed by a main course of ‘SnowCastle’s fish in foil’, all finished up with ‘Panna Fragola – strawberry mousse’.

Lumi Linna SnowCastle, photograph courtesy of Lumi Linna SnowCastle

Dinner in the sky

This is definitely an extreme dining experience, not suitable for those who suffer from vertigo. Dinner in the sky offers diners the chance to eat their meal at a table suspended 100ft in the air. In the centre of the platform your personal chef prepares your meal while you (assuming you are not petrified with fear) can relax and enjoy the breathtaking views and sip champagne. The platform seats 22 guests and can be hired for use anywhere with a venue site of 30mx20m, as long as the ground is flat and solid enough for the 120 tonne crane.

Dinner in the Sky, photograph courtesy of Dinner in the Sky

These stunningly different restaurants just go to show that it isn’t just the food that matters when you go out to eat, a stunning location certainly doesn’t do any harm to the dining experience!

Helen Jackson

Food