2012 Video Game Awards Round Up

Friday 7th December in the United States brought us the annual Video Games Awards (VGAs), in their 10th anniversary of the show. Surprisingly to some, Samuel L Jackson hosted the awards, with complete advantage being taken of his ‘badass-ery’, parodying him in some of the most popular games of the year, including Angry Birds, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, The Walking Dead, Halo 4 and Minecraft.

Other guest hosts included Johnny Galecki (Leonard from The Big Bang Theory), Norman Reedus (Daryl from The Walking Dead) and Jessica Alba, as well as musical performances from Linkin Park, Tenacious D and Snoop Lion.

The Walking Dead: The Game bagged itself five awards, including Game of the Year and Studio of the Year. Borderlands 2 also took four awards, including Best Shooter and Best Multi-Player Game. The full list of awards and the winners is included at the end of this article.

The VGAs also brought us a number of never before seen trailers and teasers of some hotly anticipated games; including a clip from Tomb Raider, showing the evolution of a young Lara Croft, from a teenager to the treasure-hunter we know and love. Tomb Radier  is schduled to release on March 5th 2013. BioShock: Infinite were eager to show off their new antagonist of the game, ‘The Handyman’, as well as the first meeting of the protagonists of the story, Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth. BioShock: Infinite is set to release on March 26th, 2013

Assassin’s Creed 3 announced an upcoming Downloadable Content addition to the game, entitled The Tyranny of King Washington, and a second Dark Souls was also announced to be in the works. Other announcements included a trailer from the upcoming survival game, The Last of Us made by Naughty Dog, and will be released worldwide on the 7th May 2013, and a mysterious trailer from ‘Moby Dick Games Studios’ of a game called The Phantom Pain, which has set the internet alight with suggestions of a potential Metal Gear Solid 5.

Full List of Awards:

Game of the Year: The Walking Dead

Studio of the Year: Telltale Studios

Best Xbox 360 Game: Halo 4

Best PS3 Game: Journey

Best Wii/Wii-U game: New Super Mario Bros. U

Best PC Game: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Best Shooter: Borderlands 2

Best Action Adventure Game: Dishonored

Best Role Playing Game: Mass Effect 3

Best Multi-Player Game: Borderlands 2

Best Individual Sports Game: SSX

Best Team Sports Game: NBA 2K13

Best Driving Game: Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Best Song in a Game: “Cities” by Beck – Sound Shapes

Best Original Score: Journey

Best Graphics: Halo 4

Best Indie Game: Journey

Best Fighting Game: Persona 4 Arena

Best Handheld/Mobile Game: Sound Shapes

Best Performance by a Human Male: Daemon Clark as Handsome Jack

Best Performance by a Human Female: Melissa Hutchinson as Clementine

Best Adapted Video Game: The Walking Dead

Best Downloadable Content: Skyrim: Dawnguard

Best Downloadable Game: The Walking Dead

Best Social Game: You Don’t Know Jack

Most Anticipated Game: Grand Theft Auto 5

Character of the Year: Claptrap from Borderlands 2

Game of the Decade: Half-Life 2

Liam Ross