If you haven’t heard of The Edge – Nottingham University Television Station’s hit drama – then you’re probably not cool enough to be reading this website.
Produced by members of NUTS, about members of NUTS, for members of NUTS, the student drama show has gathered something of a cult following over the past year. It’s gone beyond the so-bad-it’s-good phase and it’s now kind of post-ironic, utterly addictive and the best thing on TV. But if you need some more persuading, we’ve devised a drinking game suitable for new watchers and seasoned fanatics alike.
Note: these rules don’t apply if the entire episode is an LSD-induced dream sequence or if it is the dreaded seasonal ‘musical episode’.
1. If the audio becomes so muffled that you can no longer understand what the characters are saying, drink until you can hear them again.
2. If you see somebody you know lurking in the background of a shot, post a photo of it on his or her Facebook wall and nominate a player to drink a finger for every ‘like’ it receives.
3. When a character tries to coin a new catchphrase (for example “LOL dot co dot uk forward slash cheeky!”), the last person to repeat the phrase must down their drink.
4. Drink three fingers if the plotline becomes suspiciously similar to an episode of Skins.
5. The first person to correctly predict the start of a long montage or interpretive dance scene can nominate someone else to drink.
6. When Will says something insulting about an ex, the last person to shout, “Fuck Betty!” must down their drink.
7. Every time a character discovers or reveals their true sexuality, drink three fingers.
8. Every time a ‘pre-drinks’ scene ends in a blazing row, drink two fingers.
9. Have a drink in tribute if a character dies. Have another if a character remembers to mention one of the many, many friends that they have lost in the space of a year.
10. If Lewis (Lawrence Bolton) inexplicably returns from the dead, down your drink.