NUCA face disciplinary action over noise from controversial ‘Port and Policy’ event

Lincoln Hall will be pursuing disciplinary action following Nottingham University Conservative Association’s controversial debate on Friday night, Impact has learned.

Hall Warden and politics lecturer, Mark Wenman, told Impact: “There were some disciplinary issues regarding the debate.” Wenman continued: “These matters are being addressed through the disciplinary process.”

Impact understands that measures will be taken in response to late night noise and disruption caused by the debate in the hall library.

The motion “This house believes that women who dress provocatively are more likely to be the victims of sexual assault” was defeated at the ‘Port and Policy’ event. The debate has drawn national attention, making the front page of The Huffington Post on Tuesday afternoon.

Jenny Huynh, NUCA Treasurer, told Impact: “The tutor in the block had politely asked us to quieten down, but with short of 60 people in that room, noise control would be impossible given the nature of the event – students from all sides of the political spectrum arguing over a series of extremely controversial motions.”

Huynh added: “They all want their voices heard – political discussion, which is great to see – but the number of people meant we had to choose between asking people to politely quieten down, or just leave the library.

“Lincoln Hall have time and time again allowed us to use The Coveney for our events, and well, we did not want to insult them by potentially causing more disturbance,” Huynh concluded.

Oscar Williams, Izzy Scrimshire and Ben James

• Jo
    12 February 2013 at 20:05