Lead articles

Nottingham does the Harlem Shake

It had to happen, like burgundy chinos or the Bubonic plague before it, Harlem Shake has finally spread to Nottingham and students collectively have  embraced the dance craze in earnest. Roughly a hundred people turned up to University Park Lake to do the Harlem Shake opposite the Trent Building this afternoon.

Urban Dictionary defines The Harlem Shake as thus:

An eccentric upper body dance move that involves the shaking of the upper torso and shoulders. The Harlem Shake originated on 125th and Lexington where gang bangers would shoot unsuspecting cripples with crutches. The staggering fall of these cripples created a signature move, adapted by gang-affiliates and introduced at local parties. Upon witnessing the newly created “Harlem Shake,” a corporate thug under the Bad Boy Entertainment payroll reenacted and sold this dance to famous choreographer Laurie Ann Gibson who introduced this dance with the video premier “Let’s Get It” by P. Diddy featuring G-Dep and Black Rob. The phenomenon sweeping white neighborhoods [sic] and Italian nightclubs across the country was born… the Harlem Shake.

Daddy, Sarah and I want to go to Abyss and do the Harlem Shake.

The dance craze spread like wildfire across the blogosphere in the early weeks of February – to the derision of many on the internet, I rather be caught watching porn. It would be easier to explain.” is currently the top comment of the original video on YouTube. “Please no. Last thing we need is all the neds under the sun pelvic thrusting around the place.” says Auld Nick from Dundee on the MailOnline. Nonetheless, this has not curbed the growing enthusiasm for the videos. 

source: Google

—————————

Words: Ben James

Images: Emma Louise Charalambous

Lead articlesNewsPhotos
  • disgruntled witness
    20 February 2013 at 18:31