Food

Lent Friendly Puddings!

I know many of you silly, self-controlled people have given up chocolate for lent. And it is also around this 3 week stage that you are really beginning to show signs of a struggle. As a self-confessed choc-o-holic, I really don’t blame you. The sight of crème eggs in the SU shop each day never escapes your conscience, and the smell of your housemate’s hot chocolate is driving you crazy. Well don’t panic, here are some delicious and easy choc-free pudding solutions to help get you through till Easter. We believe in you!

Lemon Crunch Pie:

This is a family favourite, and for good reason. It takes a little more time than the others listed in this article, but trust me it’s worth it. Creamy lemon on a buttery biscuit base…and you also get to vent your lent anger by smashing up ginger nut biscuits with a rolling pin. What’s not to love?

Melt butter 150g butter, and add to one pack of smashed up ginger nut biscuits (smash with a rolling pin/vodka bottle). Press this mixture into large flan dish and put in the fridge for a few hours. Whip 300ml cream until quite stiff, and stir in the tin of condensed milk (400ml). Slowly add the juice of 3 lemons while stirring, and grate the zest of 2 of them and add for texture; spoon into dish and sprinkle the rest of the rind on top. DONE!

lemon crunch pie

Lemon Crunch Pie, Image by Alice Child

Baked bananas:

Tried it for the first time the other day, and they are so easy and delicious. Simply cut your bananas length-ways, place in a baking tin then add a variety of stuff depending what you have in the cupboard. I poured in tropical juice, a splash of rum, some lemon juice and sprinkled the bananas in brown sugar, then added a bit more rum (don’t judge me, deadlines are coming up). Other recipes use things like orange juice, whiskey, honey or cinnamon. Cover the tray in tin foil, and bake for about 20 minutes, and serve with vanilla ice cream. Super indulgent and healthier than most choccy puds!

Baked Banana

Baked Banana, image by Alice Child

Pancakes:

Pancake day may be over, but there is always time for more pancakes. Simply add 2 eggs to 110g flour, and then whisk in milk until the mix has the consistency of double cream. My personal favourite fillings are lemon and sugar, honey, or maple syrup and bacon.

Peanut butter cookies:

Just as indulgent as chocolate chip cookies, but even more satisfying. I used Nigella Lawson’s recipe which can be found on her website. She uses a slightly more complicated cookie dough, but this can be simplified to caster sugar, flour, an egg and some butter. You simply stir in the crunchy peanut butter to your mix and voila! An added bonus to this recipe is that they only take 10 minutes to cook.

Peanut butter cookies

Peanut butter cookies, image by Alice Child

Upside down sponge cake:

I know I know, it’s not the same as chocolate fudge brownie, but I’m doing my best here! And it is pretty yummy…I promise. Just make a simple sponge mix, but before you pour it into the cake tin, add either tinned pineapple, peaches or apricot to the bottom of the tin, and cover with a generous amount of golden syrup. Pour cake mix over the top, and bake as normal. Serve with cream or ice cream, yummy!

Rice pudding:

It may look like vomit, but it tastes amazing. Especially this one! (thank you dad for the vague recipe. Just so you know, not including measurements doesn’t make the instruction ‘add a sprinkling of nutmeg’ more masculine). To make it, pour a pint(ish) of milk into a pan, add 3(ish) spoons of sugar, and 5(ish) spoons of pudding rice. Risotto rice apparently works just as well if you have that. Stir the mix, and add to a baking dish. Put the knob of butter on top, and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake on 140 degrees for about an hour.

Other ideas I didn’t have time to try myself are: Flap-jacks, fruit crumble, fruit salad and Fudge.

Alice Child

Food