Music

Live At Leeds – 3-6 May 2013 Preview

This May Bank Holiday weekend sees the return of Live At Leeds, an all day value for money event across a staggering 15 venues over a 12 hour period. The astonishingly strong lineup includes both big hitters across a plethora of genres, as well as giving much talked about acts.

Here some ones to watch for Saturday, with some crippling, yet unavoidable time clashes:

Stockport’s Princess of sultry blues, Findlay plays Leeds Met Stage 2 at 4:00. Chugging riffs and an astronomical range gives this young lady everything it takes to succeed.

At the same time, one of Nottingham’s most promising talents, Indiana blends piercing vocals, tales of heartbreak and subtle backdrops into beautiful electro-pop. The Faversham at 4:00.

Playing Leeds Uni Stylus at 4:30, Leeds’ very own Post War Glamour Girls. Building up quite the reputation in their hometown, this will draw in big crowds.

Filthy Boy take to the Leeds Met 2 Stage at 6:00. Their macabre literary guitar rock blends enticing story telling with broody post-punk riffs.

At the early time of 7:30, post-punk-princesses Savages bring their must-see stage show to Leeds Uni Stylus on the weekend their much anticipated debut album.

BBC’s Sound of 2013 runner up AlunaGeorge will bring high energy radio-pop to the proceedings at 8pm at the O2 Academy, and is likely to draw in one of the day’s biggest crowds; ability to whistle is required.

Alternatively, Holy Trinity Church plays host to Luke Sital-Singh’s glorious vocal talent which will resonate perfectly in such a venue. A perfect scheduling adds a bit of R&R to proceedings.

The Cockpit plays host to the mysterious Unknown Mortal Orchestra  at 9:00, whose pastiche scuffed under-produced treats are a must see. Believe the hype.

PINS have quickly risen from a burgeoning Manchester scene and their all female noir-punk is electrifying if not ferocious and will blow the Leeds Met Stage 2 to smithereens during their 9:15 slot.

The clashes really do start here, as if the others weren’t hard enough decisions. The Midlands’ much hyped (and rightly so) Peace headline The Cockpit at 10:00, pitch perfect harmonising sisters The Staves headline Holy Trinity Church at 10:15 and New York’s finest, The Walkmen take the final slot at Leeds Uni Stylus at 10:00. Personally, I will be cutting myself into three.

——————————————-

The first noticeable instalment  2013 festivals really has set the bar high and, Live At Leeds represents the ideal day out for students across the country, with exceptional value for money, a seriously strong lineup and importantly, easy transport links.

Advance tickets are just £22.50, and will save you £7.50 as tickets on the day are still a cheap £30. Tickets can be bought here

MusicNews
  • permalink
    15 January 2014 at 18:58