Lead articles

“I’m meant to have the breakdown not you”: UoN IT System Crash

Two online University exams have been affected by a power outage at the University’s primary data centre on King’s Meadow campus.

The damage has extended across multiple University campuses, crashing systems such as the Portal, Moodle, printing services and University email.

uni IT down

Students’ Union Education Officer, Matt Styles, told Impact: “The Students’ Union are deeply disappointed that the University’s IT Services have failed at such a critical moment for students in the course of the academic year, and will be fully engaging in discussions with the department regarding future reliability and availability of core facilities and services”.

Tweet1

Students have been advised to contact the Student Advice centre, and apply for Extenuating Circumstances if the IT problems have caused significant problems. Styles noted: “Extenuating Circumstances may be accepted or rejected initially at the School/Department’s discretion”.

Student Emma-Louise tweeted: “there was a ripple of cheering on 4th floor as Moodle came back to life #hilarious”.

moodle rosie

The IT services apologised for the incident saying:

“We are very sorry for the disruptions caused by today’s IT problems. These were caused by an unexpected power failure, which is currently being investigated by IT Services and Estates.

Screen shot 2013-05-20 at 15.14.53
“An incident review will be held as soon as all systems are restored to identify ways in which the resilience of the University’s IT systems can be improved.”

The IT services added: “While the majority of IT services were restored, staff are continuing to resolve ongoing issues with Moodle access.”

Lead articlesNews