More jobs for graduates

A recent study has shown that there are now more jobs available for those with University degrees than without.

4612732045_e1e6061b69_z

More than a quarter of all jobs in the UK go to University graduates, which has recently overtaken the amount available for those with no qualifications at all.

More than a quarter of all jobs in the UK go to University graduates

The study, carried out by researchers at the institute of Education, looked at 3,000 adults across the job market, and proved that the number of overall jobs going to graduates is at a record high level.

The UK survey also shows that the number of graduates in graduate jobs have increased from 69% in 2006, to 74% in 2013.

Kasser Hussain, the Statistics Officer at UoN Careers and Employability department told Impact that, “In 2011/12 over 93% of first degree [UoN] graduates who were available for employment had secured work or further study and of those in employment 74% moved into graduate level roles. The percentage of graduates that were unemployed in 2011/12 was 6%.”

Graduate jobs have been steadily increasing over the past three decades, with only one in ten jobs going to graduates in the 1980s. Professor Francis Green from the Institute of Education stated that employers are now “starting to wake up to the use of graduate labour.”

Employers are now “starting to wake up to the use of graduate labour”

This news brings to light the fact that the number of jobs available to those with no qualifications has reduced dramatically, falling to just 23% of the labour market. On top of this, the amount of part time work available to those with no qualifications has reduced by more than half since the 1980s.

Despite this increase, the BBC stated in 2012 that there were an average of 52 job applications for graduate positions last year, showing that the level of graduate job competition remains high.

Hannah Kirby

Image credit: Ralph and Jenny Daily