Live Review: Loom, Chameleon (21/06/13)

loomchameleon

Arriving in Nottingham for the final date of their first nationwide tour in support of single, ‘I Get A Taste’, Loom treat a small Chameleon crowd to a raucous punk-rock set.

Frontman Tarik Badwan is the brother of Horrors frontman, Faris, and shares the same facial features and shoulder-length hair. However, that’s where the similarities end. Whereas The Horrors have gained success through their take on post-punk and most recently, shoegaze, on Skying, Loom come straight from the school of rock, with a surprisingly heavy edge to their sound.

Before Loom received the opportunity to cause chaos, two Nottingham bands, Wanderlings and Her Majesty’s Service, played encouraging sets to a receptive home crowd. Wanderlings showed off their laidback baggy-inspired songs, with the final song stealing the guitar riff from Sonic Youth’s ‘Total Trash’. Her Majesty’s Service, on the other hand, played a loud rock set, provoking dancing and gentle moshing from committed fans.

By the time Loom had come on stage, the crowd were definitely ready for a party, as was Tarik. During the set opener, Tarik first fell forwards over the on-stage monitors, before clambering to his feet and then falling backwards over the monitors, although never once missing a lyric. This wasn’t an act of inebriation, this was a stage act. A stage act to show just how raucous and lively Loom are. Some bands would falter at this obvious act of showmanship, but Loom flourished in it, with the music never suffering.

The lack of separation between crowd and band at Chameleon enables Tarik to stalk the dance floor, aggravating punters and provoking a response to the music. To a more restrained audience, this could prove awkward, but tonight’s crowd matched Tarik’s aggression, fake or not, all the way.

They cover The Zombies’ classic, ‘She’s Not There’, albeit in the style of 1976 punk, rather than 1965 psychedelia. ‘Bleed On Me’ is dark and vicious and final song ‘I Get A Taste’ provokes a mini-moshpit. As the band exit the stage, Tarik collapses under the drumkit (pictured above) and remains there for a good few minutes. A chaotic end to a chaotic night.

Loom were exceptionally good live and I would not hesitate to see them again. However, on record, that urgency and showmanship is lost slightly, and a very traditional rock sound is portrayed. If Loom can find the studio mix, they could go someway towards continuing the Badwan family success.

Alex Neely

…Alex is listening to The Hot Nasties – The Invasion Of The Tribbles

GigsMusic