Nottingham’s Best Venues – As Voted By You

Nights out

Over two thousand votes. Here are the full and exclusive results.

It’s a reader takeover! Over 2,200 votes were cast in our online poll to find the definitive best night out in Nottingham. Now, meet the people behind the venues that YOU love…

OCEAN – Best Nightclub

3687619420_ff9913bd28_o

It’s official. Ocean is Nottingham students’ favourite nightclub! IMPACT can reveal that almost half of students voted for this legendary venue – more than Oceana and Crisis combined. But why is Ocean so damn popular? Being the Union’s official night out for the past 10 years might have something to do with it. “It means a lot to me that the students have voted for this,” says head honcho Andy Hoe. “It shows that 10 years on we are still doing it right, and delivering a night that students love.” Long live Ocean.

IMPACT ASKS YOU!
Josh, 22: “Great banter and tunes! Andy’s a total lad.”

COCO TANG – Best Cocktail Bar

cocotangbr

Coco Tang has it all. Their flagship night “Vice // Mondays” attracts hundreds of students from Uni and Trent, and is widely regarded as the best destination for partygoers with a sweet tooth. The prohibition theme and classy clientele also sets it apart from the competition. “Thank you to everyone who voted for us!” says Coco Tang owner Henry, “We’re always pleased to hear people enjoy what we do.”

“Coco Tang’s bar staff are really fit.”

IMPACT ASKS YOU!

Samantha, 19: “You will always have a good night at Coco Tang. The cocktails are sophisticated and the bar staff are really fit.

BODEGA – Best Alternative Night Out

Bodega logo 1
This multiple award-winning venue boasts the biggest variety of music in Nottingham. Club nights include Gold Teeth, Twisted Hearts and the Pop Confessional, and there’s also an upstairs live music venue which attracts various local and international artists.

“We’re thrilled to have won best alternative night out; we want to say a huge thank you to all the students who voted for us,” says George Evans, promoting manager of Bodega. “We like to provide something a bit different to standard nights out, and we’re glad that there are so many people out there that are as passionate about it as we are.”

“I’ve never had a dull night at Bodega.”

IMPACT ASKS YOU!
Jenni, 19: “I’ve never had a dull night at Bodega. Great atmosphere and got to love the Cobras!”

ROPEWALK – Best Pub

New Image

Located on the fringe of Lenton, Ropewalk is known for good food, better drinks and lots of fairy lights! On Fridays, students can bag themselves a great 2-for-1 cocktail deal – perfect for nights out with friends. Their selection of wine, ale and spirits also puts them leagues ahead of Nottingham’s pub scene. “Great news to be voted favourite pub – a big thank you to all the students that voted for us,” says Giuseppe Di Miceli, the general manager “Having only taken over 8 weeks ago a lot has happened in a short time. I hope I have made changes that the customers like and we are always open to comments and suggestions.”

IMPACT ASKS YOU!
Ella, 21: “I think I go to Ropewalk more than any other venue in town.”

And Nottingham Students’ Official Favourite Night Out is….

OCEAN

548351_10151046406856976_202664607_n

As well as being Nottingham students’ favourite nightclub, it turns out Ocean is your most beloved night out of them all. In the final round, it received an incredible 50% of the total votes up against the likes of Bodega, Coco Tang, Crisis and Rescue Rooms. It seems that those sticky floors and copious amount of cheese have found Ocean a permanent place in our hearts.

It’s the week’s Big O and it seems most of you can’t get enough.

Every Friday night it is filled with students hoping to blow off steam after a hard week in Hallward – whether this be through innumerable jägerbombs or ripping off their shirts as the prophetic drum roll of Baywatch descends upon the dance floor. It is the week’s Big O and it seems most of you can’t get enough.

On Ocean’s crowning victory, Andy Hoe comments: ‘”I am very happy to hear that we have won not only Nottingham Uni’s ‘Favourite Club Night’ but also ‘Favourite Night Out’ as well. I know Ocean has it haters as well as its lovers – but you can’t please everybody! So I just try and please as many as possible.”

“Thankfully we’re still getting it right and the ‘Ocean Love’ is stronger than ever!”

“The ‘Ocean Love’ is stronger than ever!”

The Top 5:

Winner: Ocean
2nd: Crisis
3rd: Coco Tang
4th: Bodega
5th: Rescue Rooms

Emily Shackleton, Rosie Feenstra and Izzy Scrimshire. Header image: Brian O’Mahony. Other images: Flickr and the respective venues. 

FeaturesLead articlesThis Issue