Summer of Train Station Disruption For Students

nottingham train station

Plans to renovate Nottingham train station over the summer could cause disruption for students and residents of the city.

The “Nottingham Resignalling Project” will take place between the 20th July and the 25th of August.

The initiative has been invested in significantly, with funding of £100 million expected to create a new platform, six miles of new track, three new signal boxes, two renewed level crossings, and the two current level crossings being replaced by footbridges.

The plans however, may cause difficulties for students who wish to return to Nottingham over the summer holidays as East Midlands Trains have stated that there will be “major disruptions” to services.

“Once completed, station managers are confident that it will be the country’s best interchange station outside of London.”

East Midlands Trains hope to counteract the possible chaos by offering alternative routes for travellers.

East Midlands Parkway, a train station about a twenty minute drive from Nottingham, is expected to be the main replacement for Nottingham during the renovation period, and will have to cope with an increased number of customers using the station.

The popular line between London and Nottingham is being changed to start and end at East Midlands Parkway, where three buses an hour will arrive to transfer passengers from Nottingham to London and vice-versa. Buses every ten minutes will take passengers from to and from Nottingham and East Midlands Parkway.

John Hartley, project manager for the revamping, has promised that after the work is completed the station will “run a lot better”.

The project intends to transform and update the station and surrounding tracks, with the outcome hopefully being to increase the reliability of services within the area and to help the station host a larger amount of trains.

The facelift is the first time the station will be revamped since its first rebuild in 1906.

Elliott Stone

Photo by Martin Haw